Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Good deal on AfterShot Pro

Jul 17, 2013 3:46 PM

I just bought Corel AfterShot Pro  (Mac) for 20 bucks from an Amazon email.  Corel bought Bibble last year and upgraded their Pro to AfterShot Pro. I also received their latest update for 30 more cameras. It's Lightroom at a 97% discount and it includes Noise Ninja , which I did not have. Well worth it for that alone.

Apparently it does not open DNG at the present time. I am well aware that Corel must be blowing it out ahead of a new version, but I wanted Noise Ninja.  It's similar to Aperture which I also have. Reviews are mixed on whether it's faster or slower than Lightroom but you can work on a single image without the baggage that Lightroom imposes.

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,844 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 17, 2013 4:41 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

A lot of people are getting excited bout Photo Ninja lately.  I still haven't tried it, but really should do.  Here's an interesting article by Tony Bridge, who is one of the names in NZ photography, and photography related education.

http://www.thistonybridge.com/2012/10/23/photo-ninja-raw-converter-rev iew

The above is worth a read if your preferred output is large prints, so I'd be interested to hear what Station, or even Jeff Schewe, has to say on the subject.  I see landscapes with detail I can never obtain, despite shooting with a 1DsMK3 and some of Canon's sharpest lenses.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2013 6:21 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

While I'm deeply embarrassed, humbled and astonished to find my Adobe user ID mentioned in the same sentence as the name of guru Jeff Schewe, for whom I have nothing but admiration and respect—and not for a nanosecond pretending to misuse this opportunity to claim a status I don't even remotely aspire to—I don't mind reporting that I've used Noise Ninja since the first version years ago but also that I have not explored PhotoNinja—yet.

Currently, I'm exploring Photoline and I'm very, very impressed.  It's most likely that I'll buy it.

While Noise Ninja is very good, for some digital denoising tasks I also like Imagenomic's Noiseware Professional.

Thankfully, digital noise is not the problem it used to be with early DSLRs, and very often Photoshop's noise reduction capability does the job admirably.

For those of us who still deal with film albeit to an ever diminishing extent, however, nothing, absolutely nothing even approaches the functionality and capabilities of the Grain Surgery 2 set of film grain management plug-ins (Remove Grain, Add Grain, Sample Grain,Match Grain, Auto Match Grain).

Unfortunately, even tragically, the Adobe evil bureaucracy bought Grain Surgery from Visual Infinity (perhaps the entire assets of that company?) and promptly killed it.   

It's one of the main reasons I keep a PPC Power Mac G5 Quad on which I run Photoshop 11.0.2 ("CS4") under Tiger, because Adobe quietly shelved Grain Surgery before there was a version that could run on Intel Macs or in 64 bits. Grrrrrr…

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 6:23 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

Lundberg02 wrote:

I just bought Corel AfterShot Pro  (Mac) for 20 bucks from an Amazon emai…

Thanks, Richard.  I'm off to investigate.

(I tested Lightroom and hated it.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 6:43 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

Wow!     Corel After Shot Pro installs just by dragging the application icon to your Root Level Aplications folder. 

I already like it! 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

The above is worth a read if your preferred output is large prints, so I'd be interested to hear what Station, or even Jeff Schewe, has to say on the subject.

Read the the article...didn't tell me much. Downloaded the demo to Photo Ninja...it's ok. Pretty primitive and simplistic–which would appeal to some people. But, as far as I can see, it doesn't offer any functionality that can't be done in ACR/LR with proper settings applied.

No batch capability...each adjustment is modal-meaning you must actually "apply" the adjustment which means it's impossible to make multiple adjustments across tools at once. As a workflow, it's deficient…

Would I switch to Photo Ninja? Nope…

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to station_two

I've been using AfterShot Pro on my linux system along with Lightzone, Darktable and Raw Therapee.

Corel just updated Aftershot Pro about a week or so ago after an extremely long wait.

None of the above quite measure up to adobe camera raw in tems of quality of the output, though.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2013 10:31 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

I'll mirror what Jeff said about PhotoNinja.  It could grow up, but it's not now a major league player.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 18, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

Yes, and PhotoNinja is made by the same folks.  Sorry the conversation got away from your original list, Lundberg.  I was responding to Jeff's comment, because I recognized my own sentiment.

There are a lot of pieces of software that claim to convert raw files.  Thing is, the ones I've actually tried just don't do it at professional quality levels.  They just don't do the stuff we've come to expect from Camera Raw, nor in a way that's as easy to use.  It's not easy to be on that cutting edge, nor is catching up with Adobe easy to do.  That's why Adobe gets big bucks.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 6:04 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

…pieces of software that claim to convert raw files…  …That's why Adobe gets big bucks…

Agreed.  If it weren't for ACR, I probably would have stayed at CS2 or so.

With the unfathomable Cash Cow subscription, Adobe has left me no choice but to stick to ACR 8.1 hosted by Photoshop CS6.  Big bucks or small bucks, Adobe ain't getting one more penny out of me now.

That's why it's important to keep following the progress of all these other programs.

My thanks to Lundberg02 and to Herbert for posing about the newcomers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points