Skip navigation
StigOfNorway
Currently Being Moderated

Moving from folder structure to Lightroom (EXIF/IPTC)?

Jul 18, 2013 2:16 AM

Tags: #folder_structure #iptc_tags #folder_names

Hi,

I have +25k images organized in a folder structure today. This structure has served me well for many years, but I realize that it has it limits.
Testing Lightroom made me decide to go for a new approach, but having some 'nightmares' of how to include my images from my old folder structure (25k images....)

I know I can keep my folders intact in Lightroom, and I have done this. But I also want to have some kind of description on EXIF/IPTC. Today this description is in the folder name, and only there.

How can I automatic include the images current folder name into the image file IPTC Caption or any other EXIF/IPTC field? I want to do this for all images and folders in one batch, and not select each folder manually.

The old images will be more in line with images I import from now on, and they will at least be universal searchable based on the old folder name.

Is there any software that's ready to go for this?

Could it be a task for Automator?

I have access to both PC and MAC for this kind of batch operation.

/Stig of Norway

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2013 3:39 AM   in reply to StigOfNorway

StigOfNorway wrote:

How can I automatic include the images current folder name into the image file IPTC Caption or any other EXIF/IPTC field?

You can do this using a slightly modified version of the "Field Loader" preset of the File Renamer plugin (you'll not be renaming any files, it's just a way to do what you want to do...). I can help, if you want to try this approach - consider contacting me outside the forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 4:07 AM   in reply to StigOfNorway

StigOfNorway wrote:

How can I automatic include the images current folder name into the image file IPTC Caption or any other EXIF/IPTC field? I want to do this for all images and folders in one batch, and not select each folder manually.

The question isn't about renaming files, is it? You want to know about automatically copying the image's folder name into IPTC fields? You would need a plugin to do that, and it is pretty easy with my Search and Replace plugin.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 4:23 AM   in reply to StigOfNorway

In two stages - transfer the folder to the IPTC field, then search and replace the dates.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to StigOfNorway

Stig:

Did you ever have success? I've downloaded Rob Cole's rc File Renamer plugin and would simply like to copy my folder structure to the headline field in EXIF. Would you be kind enough to show me how?

Gregg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 2:18 AM   in reply to gschlau

Hi Gregg,

gschlau wrote:

Would you be kind enough to show me how?

First off, I'd like to say that John Beardy's plugin really is much more straight forward for doing this. That said, it can be done using file renamer thusly:

0. Download and install latest version of file renamer (v1.9 or better).

1. Select 'Field Loader' preset in plugin manager, preset manager section.

2. Select 'Edit Advanced Settings' from same (preset selection) drop-down menu.

3. Change

_t.formattedMetadataFieldIdForRenaming = 'caption'

to

_t.formattedMetadataFieldIdForRenaming = 'headline'

and change

_t.formattedMetadataFieldIdForSource = { type='fmt', id='title' }

to

_t.formattedMetadataFieldIdForSource = { type='raw', id='path' } -- for full path

or

_t.formattedMetadataFieldIdForSource = { type='fmt', id='folderName' } -- for parent folder name only.

then

4. invoke 'Rename Files - Start' from the Library Menu -> Plugin Extras.

And that should do it (you can ignore prompts talking about file renaming, since, well, you'll not be renaming any files...).

Please contact me outside the forum for additional plugin support - thanks.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to StigOfNorway

Thanks Stig and Rob for your excellent directions. Appreciate it!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points