Skip navigation
danny hard
Currently Being Moderated

How to convert rectangles & words to just words

Jul 18, 2013 10:52 AM

I'm obviously a noob hahaha

I used some white rectangles to change the shape of black letters on a white background. Now I want this combination of letters & rectangles to be just letters when I select them etc. (make the white rectangles blend with the background and still have the shape they left on the letters) How can I do that?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to danny hard

If the letters are live type you must first outline them.

Having done that, Ungroup.

Then select each letter and a white rectangle and Pathfinder (panel) > Minus Front.

If you need more than one white rectangle per letter, these should be Pathfinder > United first.

Making them into a compound path will also probably do the trick as long as they don’t overlap.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to danny hard

Danny,

The way I (mis)understand it, you may:

A) If the letters are outlined and separate:

1) Select the letters and Object>Compound Path>Make

2) Select the rectangles and Object>Group;

3) Select all and Pathfinder>Minus Front.

B) Even if the letters are live Type (but you end with a mask rather than just the Type):

1) Select the white rectangles and Object>Group;

2) Select all and in the Transparency palette flyout tick Make Opacity Mask with Invert Mask ticked and Clip unticked.

There are some more options.

Edit: Hi Steve.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to danny hard

Danny,

They are outlined, not live Type. You can also Type>Create Outlines to change live Type to outline them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to danny hard

To see whether your type is live or not, you just select it.

If it is still neat letters with a visible (blue) baseline, it’s live.

If you see a jumble of anchor points it’s expanded or outlined (each letter converted to a vector path).

Or hit Cmd+Y (Mac) Ctrl (Windows) and the difference will be obvious.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to danny hard

Dave,

then added some white rectangles over some letters

If the rectangles do not span multiple letters, you may work with one letter at a time as suggested by Steve.

If there are more than one rectangle per letter, you may select one at a time with the letter and Pathfinder>Minus Front, or you may Object>Group the white rectangles, then select the group and the letter and Pathfinder>Minus Front once.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to danny hard

Danny,

but there are black rectangles too haha like doing the oposite of the white rectangles, obviously. Is the process the same?

That rather depends on what you want to do with the black rectanges.

If (guessing) you want to add them to the lettershapes, you should select each black rectangle and letter combination and Pathfinder>Unite.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to danny hard

Danny,

Also when I tried to do Object>Compound Path>Make it said they are within different groups

You may Object>Ungroup first, but if there is only one white/black per rectangle there is no need to make a compound path of the lettershapes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to danny hard

Danny,

Hm I see, so what is the correct order of doing that should I unite first of all?

You can do it in either order, but your nerves may prefer your uniting first.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to danny hard

Danny,

If there is any overlap between white and black rectangles, and you want toi keep the whole shape of the black one(s), you should:

1) Select each of the white rectangles along with the lettershape and Pathfinder>Minus front, carefully avoiding to select the black rectangle(s),

2) Select the/each black rectangle and the lettershape and Pathfinder>Unite.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to danny hard

Danny,

If you wish to have simple paths, you should use the Pathfinder palette (see the Window dropdown where it should be ticked) rather than Effect>Pathfinder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to danny hard

Danny,

You can see the stacking order and move objects up/down in the Layers palette, just click the circle to the right of an object to select and click+drag up/down.

Edit: Having to leave for a while.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to danny hard

Danny,

now Object>Ungroup is not possible to click

You can only click it when you have a Group selected; you can also select Groups through the layers palette.

Compound Path>Make still says it cant be done

There is probably no need.

If you want the white paths to cut into both the black paths and the rectangles, you may:

0) Make sure that the white rectangles are on top of everything else (you can see that in the Layers palette), they should be from what I understand;

1) Select the/each black rectangle and the lettershape and Pathfinder>Unite, carefully avoiding to select any white rectangle;

2) Select each of the white rectangles along with the lettershape and Pathfinder>Minus front.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to danny hard

You are welcome, Danny.

I presume you have black shapes and no white, and that they are in one half of the Artboard/screen/whatever.

You can create a black rectangle for the other half and send it behind everything else (you can drag it to the bottom in the Layers palette or press Ctrl/Cmd+X+B).

Then you can copy all the shapes and change the colour of the copy set from black to white and move them to the black half. If you wish, you can cut them out of the black rectangle.

You can also add a white rectangle behind  the black shapes, if you wish.

Edit: Cross posting. I hope this gives the answers (apart from how to cut the lettershapes from the black rectangle if you wish to do that).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to danny hard

Danny,

You can lock the black rectangle in the layers palette, just click the box for locking right beside the box with the eye for visibility.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to danny hard

You are welcome, Danny.

If you decide to cut the white lettershapes from the black rectangle, you may:

1) Select all the white lettershapes and Object>Compound Path>Make;

2) Unlock the black rectangle and select it with the lettershapes and Pathfinder>Minus Front.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to danny hard

Danny,

In many cases, like this one, I believe it is very much a matter of getting the message through both ways.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points