Skip navigation
burbalade
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS5 random scrolling and jumping

Jul 18, 2013 12:26 PM

Tags: #cs5 #bridge

Hi, I'm using Bridge CS5 on OSX 10.8.4 with a wired apple keyboard and Wacom Intuos 4.

When viewing a folder full of images in the content tab, it will seemingly randomly scroll up or down through the images without any kind of input on my part. I've tried updating everything (bridge, OSX, wacom drivers). I turned off all of the buttons on the tablet since I don't use them anyway.

It's extremely frustrating when I'm trying to skim images for retouching and bridge will decide to randomly skip to another part of the folder contents.

This happens when viewing content in remote folders, not sure if it happens on local folders.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 18, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to burbalade

This happens when viewing content in remote folders, not sure if it happens on local folders.

It depends on the cache you have already made or not. If you open a window previous cached then Bridge should not have that much time to read the already existing cache, otherwise it needs time to create the cache for the files.

In both situations the content panel is not steady but tries to keep focus on the first viewed files. Scrolling down often get's disturbed by some kind of auto selecting the previous viewed files.

It can be indeed quite annoying when in a hurry but when you let Bridge take its time a bit more it should not take long before everything is normal.

Especial folders on a server based environment or external disks can be more tricky than internal disks and sometime take a bit longer.

If the problem keeps going on then either try to purge the cache for the problem folder using menu tools / cache / purge cache for folder or reset the workspace.

If still no result also try resetting prefs by restarting Bridge holding down option key. This sets prefs back to factory default and you need to reset your custom wishes but unless you have tons of custom file type associations this is not a big task

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to burbalade

My guess it is some kind of interference with the wacom tablet.  Do you have the pen far enough away from the tablet?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 18, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to burbalade

I'm on Bridge CC but also 10.8.4 and a wired keyboard and Intuos 4 but I also do use the wireless magic mouse from Apple that can be very restless sometimes and makes things move and scroll or enlarge without my intention to do so. For now I'm blaming my 'thick fingers' for it…

This problem happens in any remote folder I browse on multiple servers at different physical locations so purging folder cache isn't going to do anything. I have tried resetting prefs to no avail.

Still not clear if your problem is persistent or only at the start of using the folders.

And while no experience nor knowledge about network environment you should be able to purge cache without problem because in the default installation your cache file is installed in the user library of your user account.

But if you have set a custom location this might be a bit more tricky. You can check the location of your central cache file in Bridge Preferences cache tab.

I should mention that I have colleagues and associates also running Bridge CS5 on different machines with different loadouts who are also experiencing this problem which leads me to wonder why I haven't been able to find similar posts about it.

This brings up another question. Could it be you or one of your colleagues or all have set the option to distribute cache to folders when possible?

If so a build cache of your colleague in the folder might conflict with your own cache trying to read different info. Just a thought. Check one folder and use menu view, show hidden files.

See if there are 2 files with a document icon called .BridgeCache and .BridgeCacheT

If so delete both files and try again.

And since Bridge is not designed nor official supported for use over a network this might be the reason not many people manage to use it over a network and therefor don't run in this problem??

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to burbalade

I've been having this same exact problem in the last month or two and it's infuriating!

My folder's cache is all built (from a file server on the network as well) and while trying to review photos (a folder full of ~4000 CR2s), it'll randomly jump to another photo elsewhere in the folder. My current "solution" is to give the "problem" photo a unique label and then hide it from view. Not optimal, but it helps the workflow. A little.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points