Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to convert specific pages to greyscale within a PDF?

Jul 18, 2013 11:43 AM

We got a print job from our customer on PDF. Probably created in Word. It's about 3/4 color and the rest black and white. Problem is, Word creates "rich black" which triggers a color impression on our color copier. If it were done in InDesign and done correctly, it would just be K and the copier would recognize that and give us a black click only. Obviously, color clicks cost a lot more than black clicks so I want to be able to specify say pages 50-53, 58-59, 66-78  etc and convert just those pages to actual greyscale so that the machine will recognize as greyscale and give us a black click. Is that possible?

Acrobat Pro X 10.1.7 on OSX 10.8

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to TwitchOSX

I've created Preflight > Fixup's for this scenerio a couple times.

I found that if the document space (or type?) was rgb, than as shown will not work. I have a version for rgb, but just converted the document to cmyk when I last ran it.

Capture.JPG

Fixups seem to apply to the whole document. (@Adobe - why??? Let me define a page range in that page range box)

Swapping pages from one to the other after use would be necessary, but cheaper than Pitstop for occasional use.

I would expect that the copier, driven by a RIP, will allow page ranges to be defined as cmyk or gray.

With our Fiery I use mixed media to define grayscale within a mixed job. (Mixed media is not available if imposing within the RIP however)

Capture2.JPG

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to TwitchOSX

Glad to help you out Twitch - I'm familiair with you from the ID forums.

I use Mixed Media for defining the cover tray of a book, slip sheets between sets (or post inserting a cover), in addition to forcing gray.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points