Skip navigation
mckenziepiping
Currently Being Moderated

Added a signature, all comments got erased!

Jul 18, 2013 1:11 PM

I added a signature to my eBook in Acrobat 11.0.03 for Mac. The eBook had about 20-30 hours of work in terms of comments. Adding a signature and saving the document on top of the original caused all the comments to be erased! This is a pretty ridiculous bug.

Does anyone know how I can restore to a previous version of this document (the versions item under the file menu is greyed out).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to mckenziepiping

Sounds a serious bug, but not one I can recall seeing before. It's possible something else is happening.

What sort of comment were they?

How are you checking that the comments are erased?

Are you looking in the Comments List?

What sort of signature was it (digital or scanned)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to mckenziepiping

You have said all along you are using Acrobat - and this is the Acrobat forum - but this is a screenshot for the free Adobe Reader. Have you been using both, or have you been using Adobe Reader all along?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2013 12:17 AM   in reply to mckenziepiping

Saving is not something to be done on a whim, because a signed document is often "final" and difficult or impossible to edit. It's something to do after you have finished and to make a separate copy of the file.

I think your comments were saved to the original file most likely, then the signed copy was written to the new file. I don't know where the comments went and it's alarming, but there is a reason the new file is saved with "SIGNED" on it, specifically so as not to remove your all-important working copy.

Someone else may have more insight, because it still isn't clear why the comments should have gone. However, if you don't have a backup (Time Machine in MacOS is good too) I think you have to say they are probably gone. (But don't delete the file in case someone has magic).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points