Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CC doesn't start, how do I fix it?

Jul 18, 2013 3:37 PM

Initial installation of Brige CC worked fine. Installed the Bridge CC Output Module with result that Bridge CC won't execute. Have uninstalled, used the Cleaner utility to reset the Creative Cloud App Tab, and then installed Bridge CC once again. Same result, doesn't execute. Spent about eight hours online while Adobe Tech-Rep tried to resolve the problem using screen and desktop sharing but his result was worse than mine because he uninstalled my Photoshop and Bridge CS6 applications without asking me and failed to fix Bridge CC.

Here's how I stand-

a. Bridge CC doesn't execute

b. I'll have to spend eight to twelve hours installing my PS 7.0 disk and all of the upgrade disks needed to get Photoshop CS6 and Bridge CS6 back on my deskop.

I'm a patience man and I realize that, so far, this misadventure has only cost me $9.99 for the first month of my Creative Cloud experience with Photoshop CC and Bridge CC,; not counting time lost serving my clients and reinstalling CS6 applications that didn't need to be uninstalled.

Come now, surely there's a corrective procedure that I can carry out that will resolve the problem and I don't mean "Uninstall Bridge CC and reinstall it."

Hello?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to SD Rowdies

SD Rowdies wrote:

b. I'll have to spend eight to twelve hours installing my PS 7.0 disk and all of the upgrade disks needed to get Photoshop CS6 and Bridge CS6 back on my deskop.

To install CS6 (Bridge included with this) you do not have to install all the applications.  If you do not want the others (personally I like CS5 best) then just install CS6.  It is asks for qualifying product then type in the s/n of the previous version.

Since Bridge CC is now a separate product it should not conflict with other programs.  Beware that you can only have one Bridge runnig at the same time.  If Bridge cs6 is running in background CC will not start.  If a Win OS look in Task Manager processes tab for bridge.exe and close it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 6:09 PM   in reply to SD Rowdies

Solved (for me). Win7 (64-bit).

I just ran into this. Tech support turned out to be ineffective (oddly, I wasn't surprised), even when ramped up to Bridge-specific tech support, though they did acknowledge it as a known problem. Their offer of a possible solution was to create a new admin account and install Bridge to that account; it would be usable under all accounts and might fix it. Didn't for me. YMMV.

My solution required getting rid of the now-optional-under-CC Output Module by moving the entire directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Bridge CC Extensions\Adobe Output Module\ to somewhere else. Started right up.

Hope this helps someone.

Hope Adobe someday learns to really program.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 8:11 PM   in reply to SD Rowdies

SO very happy to be able to help.

What makes me sad and pisses me off is that Adobe charges us the sun, moon, and stars, and can't among the lot of them figure out how their software works. therefore, they eat our time and fill us with frustration and let us crowd-source what we've already paid them to provide: functional software and professional support.

Best to you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 7, 2013 3:13 AM   in reply to cliftonmeek

What makes me sad and pisses me off is that Adobe charges us the sun, moon, and stars, and can't among the lot of them figure out how their software works. therefore, they eat our time and fill us with frustration and let us crowd-source what we've already paid them to provide: functional software and professional support.

While I fully agree with this statement you also have to be aware this is a user to user forum and you are not addressing Adobe directly

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

You should have been able to recognize that as a conversational comment. I don't believe that the fact that this is a forum requires that no comment be made about Adobe, unless I've missed something somewhere; rather, as a forum, it invites and allows the concerns and observations of users to be shared. When a failure of Adobe causes difficulties for users, the angst is part of the problem, and sharing it is a part of the solution.

And if you believe that Adobe doesn't monitor the content of the forums, you have the benefit of a joyous degree of naïveté that I envy.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 7, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to cliftonmeek

And if you believe that Adobe doesn't monitor the content of the forums, you have the benefit of a joyous degree of naïveté that I envy.

I would call it experience rather then naïveté

When it comes to monitoring I think Adobe staff uses monitors displaying stock exchange...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

This is the only case that I've heard of that the Output module causes a crash. There was a known issue that the panel would come up blank for some folks. This was due to an issue with CS6, but we've got that fixed now and updated the files for installing the Output module (http://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/install-output-module-bridge-cc.html).

You may want to try it again to see if our repairs also took care of your issue.

As a point of curiosity, do you have a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett

Awesome that you’re following up!

I had comments from people who had the same problem and cleared the problem by removing the module, so I’m comfortable with and confident in the fact that I wasn’t the only one experiencing this issue.

I run fully updated Win7-64bit (FYI, ASUS p6X58D-Premium motherboard, 6GB RAM, two MSI nVidia 460 1GB video cards driving four 21” monitors, Crucial SSD prime drive).

BTW, there is an error in the instructions you provide:

2.             Copy the Adobe Output Module folder (not the AOM_Package_[OS] folder) into the Bridge CC Extensions folder in the appropriate location:

•         Windows 64-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Bridge CC Extensions

•         Windows 32-bit: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Bridge CC Extensions

This is exactly backwards for Windows, “. . . ‘Program File’ folders that are listed are for 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows 7. The folder with (x86) is for 32 bit version.” The source for this info is Microsoft: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/progr ams-files-vs-program-files-x86/7d631676-e688-472a-a1bb-eefccfeca6d7 and can be confirmed in myriad other places including the fourth paragraph at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_Files. Rather a critical and basic error . . .

I’ve installed it correctly, putting the 64bit Bridge CC files in the proper (by Microsoft) subdirectory, and it seems to work.

Thanks for the info and for following up — that’s uncommon with Adobe in my experience, which started when Adobe started. It makes me happy that maybe Adobe is movign to being more proactive and responsive. Cheers!

Thanks,

Jerry

Fifth Street Designstrategic marketing & branding

Jerry Clifton Meek

voice 406.586.2341 • mobile/text 510.414.8035 • toll-free 866.256.8393

65 west kimberly court • bozeman • montana 59718-9182 usa

<http://www.fifthstreet.com/> www.fifthstreet.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to cliftonmeek

So you are able to run the Output Module without Bridge crashing?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to Brett N

Yes. Just re-ran to confirm. But, again, with the module installed under \Program Files\ and not \Program Files (x86)\.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Clifton Meek

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to cliftonmeek

We can have the installation instructions corrected, but back on point, originally having the Output Module installed was causing Bridge to crash for you but now it is not? How about for our friend, the original poster here? Do we still think that simply having the Output Module installed is the origin of his Bridge crash?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to Brett N

Well, from the posting, my understanding is yes. As you’ll note in the thread: Bridge was broken, then he followed my instructions to remove it, and it instantly worked. Not a shades-of-grey response.

The only variable I can see is if he and I used the erroneous subdirectories instructions posted in your email today. Perhaps you could find instructions for the module previously released and compare.

Just curious: why was the module not included originally with CC?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Clifton Meek

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to cliftonmeek

According to your first post, the files that were removed were installed to the correct location (where it works for you currently, and not the location that is listed in the instructions on our documentation). Why do you think is working for you now but was not originally? I'm asking this because it works fine on my side and for everyone else I've talked to about the Output module (which is quite a few people due to the bug we fixed this morning), but you got it work on your side and I'm wondering what has changed for you that is making it work so we can hopefully do the same for the original poster, rather than just leaving him with "don't have it installed". Because you have it installed now and it is working.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 8:45 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett,

I thought I made myself clear; I’m sorry if I didn’t:

*     With the “un-bug-fixed” version (whatever was active on the date of my posting which we are discussing) in place, Bridge CC 64-bit failed to operate.

*     With the AOM files removed (by deleting or removal to someplace the program didn’t know), Bridge worked.

*     Ergo, that version of AOM failed, at least for me and the other fellow.

*     With the version I installed, which you graciously provided, in the real 64-bit Program Files directory, it works.

*     Ergo this bug-fixed version works.

*     If it’s a sugar pill then fine, there’s some other variable.

If there are no other variables, such as common DLL files that have been updated by OTHER Adobe product updates, then the fix is your updated AOM module.

You can post my experience to the fellow if you wish, and use my screen name to affirm this.

I am absolutely impressed with your assiduous attention to this issue. If you are the new face of Adobe, things are very bright for us all.

Thanks,

Jerry

PS: If you’re looking for other Bridge things to fix, I find it radibly irritating that when I’m scrolling the scollbar and hold it down while I view a few images in that screenful (I’m a professional – I have MANY screenfuls), that after a programmed timeout, the window pops back to the top even though my stylus is still depressed. Why, for god’s sake would someone program that? If I scroll and keep the mouse/stylus pressed, I actually INTEND to continue to view where I am – I haven’t’ died while continuing to hold the mouse/stylus down. Just remove that stupid timer then bounce back to top subroutine, and put salt in the beer of whoever made that function.

PPS: What was the Bridge bug you fixed?

Jerry Clifton Meek

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 8:08 PM   in reply to cliftonmeek

Whew, glad I found this forum and thanks for all your thought-provoking comments and possible solutions.  Here's my story:

- One year ago loaded older CS Production Premium 4 and 5.5 suites on new Dell XPS Win 7 64 bit machine. 

- Several months ago loaded a handful of Creative Cloud programs (Premiere, Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge)

- Premiere wouldn't start up.  Adobe remote access support folks found 1 year old graphic card driver out of date (AMD Radeon HD 6450). Updated and everything fine.   Later tried CC Bridge - everything fine.

- Recently found CC Bridge wouldn't start up - no popups, no messages

After mulling over the possibilities, as it turned out for me I was able to get CC Bridge 64 by:

- Opening Windows Task Bar

- Killing Bridge *32 instance

Then when I try startup CC Bridge, it immediately opens up fine.  So at least on my configuration and various instances, it's an either-or situation - either remove the older 32 bit Bridge in my Windows Start-up folder or kill the instance if I want to have my cake and eat it, too (sometimes use older Browser, sometimes use newer CC).  Hopefully I'll remmber next time I fire up CC Browser on this machine!

Happy Trails,   Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 4:48 PM   in reply to cliftonmeek

Thank You soooo much for posting this! After two solid days of beating my head against the wall (tech support asking me to do the same, but i already am operating on the administrator account. So I did not create a new account and follow the instructions). Yet this one simple thing such as moving a folder solved my problem. I cut and pasted the Output Module folder and placed it directly under my Adobe Bridge folder. Then clicked Bridge and bam. One second later it opens. Oy. Adobe, you have a great product, but Please I beg you have a chat with Tech Support.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 5:02 PM   in reply to sdphotog2014

Glad to have helped. Sad that Adobe's answer to tech support on badly programmed software is to, well, provide none. But look, they're only billing us every month forever, why should they give a flying phuque.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 5:13 PM   in reply to sdphotog2014

I want to add that I added the Output Module to it's 'proper' location when I found their download instructions

http://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/install-output-module-bridge-cc.html. Been working perfectly with the Output Module installed.

and yeah, you pay $50 a month, it'd be nice to have an all knowing tech person, but people are just that . and we can all make mistakes. Still if I'm paying top dollar... I think it would just save a lot of time and confusion if the Output module update could be included in the Cloud download as one of their bug updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 4:55 PM   in reply to SD Rowdies

I've just run into this but on a Mac. Installed per the instuctions and Bridge won't load.

I deleted the folder and Bridge still won't load.

I reset the prefs using Option/Command and Bridge still wont load.

Really impressive.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points