Skip navigation
John9957
Currently Being Moderated

Import problems with PRE 11 on Windows XP

Jul 18, 2013 4:35 PM

Tags: #import #11 #conforming #windows_xp #premiere_elements_11

I'm trying to edit a bunch of large .mov files (20-30 mins each, at 720p30). I can import a batch of videos and the bar at the bottom says it's "Conforming" each one in turn. But when I try to import more files later, it tries to re-conform all the first videos, which results in the program crashing. Is there a setting I need to change, or is my computer just not capable of handling this operation?

I'm running:

Windows XP

AMD Sempron 2.3GHZ processor

2GB RAM

The sytem was clean-installed recently with a new 1TB hard drive, so there is over 800GB free on the drive.

I would appreciate any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to John9957

John9957

What are the properties of your .mov source media other than ..mov file extension and 720p30 and from what camera are they coming from? Looking for video and audio compression.

What are you or the project setting as the project preset for this project. Project preset should match the properties of the source media.

Your computer environment is not geared for "large bunch of .mov 1280 x 720 @ 30 progressive frames per second, 30 minutes + duration.

Your Premiere Elements 11 is a 32 bit application in that set up with all the limitations of 32 bit system.

The maximum supported installed RAM for 32 bit system is 4 GB of which typically only 3.0 GB or less of that are available. And, you have only 2 GB RAM installed.

Optimizing your computer and increasing the total RAM installed to 4.0 GB might get you a little further in the projects. Look at the setup for the Scratch Disks (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks). Look for pile ups of preview files and conformed audio files in the Adobe Folder. Clean out the conformed video files via Edit Menu/Preferences/Media.

How does you workflow go when you source media are other than these .mov files?

Please review, get back to us with the further details requested, and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2013 8:09 PM   in reply to John9957

John9957

I do not believe that you have adequate resources for the type of Premiere Elements 11 project that you describe (namely AVCHD editing). You can optimize the present computer, increase the RAM to 4 GB installed, and make sure you have the correct project settings so that you can gauge the best you can get.

Given you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and you are running Premiere Elements 11 from a User Account with Administrative Priviledges.

Here is what I want you to do.

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 on your Windows XP 32 bit.

2. Go immediately to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p30

Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Select Project Preset on This Project" before you exit the new project dialog.

3. Then back in the workplace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to import one of you .mov files into Project Assets from where you will drag it to the Timeline. Do you have over that Timeline content

a. no colored line

b. orange line (I am referring to the orange line over the Timeline content, not the orange line that runs through the middle of the video and audio content on Video 1 and Audio 1),

c. green line

Conforming of the audio and video cannot be turned off. It is the program conforming the video and audio to the standards of the project. You must wait until it is complete (as per the progress bar at the bottom of the interface) before moving forward in the project. It is important for us to determine if all these conforming activities that you are reporting are related to this particular type of .mov source or to other source video formats. Try to determine that by importing some video files that are not from your Nikon and see if the level of conforming continues. Can you tell if it is audio or video conforming going on? What is the reading in the progress bar?

Please review and then we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points