Skip navigation
mwfarris
Currently Being Moderated

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX GPU support for the Mac

Jul 18, 2013 10:45 PM

When are you going to support GPU for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX on the Mac in the new After Effects CC?

Please also consider this a request as well.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to mwfarris

mwfarris wrote:

Please also consider this a request as well.

A forum post in a user-to-user forum is not going to be considered an official request. Adobe employees sometimes do frequent these forums, but this isn't a place to officially contact Adobe. It takes very little time to file a proper feature request and it will then be officially tracked.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Szalam

Szalam is correct about how to submit feature requests.

As it happens, I'm doing some testing on that GPU today. If all goes well with this testing, there's a good chance of this card being added to the list of supported cards for the next release.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

When do you think us ATi Radeon card users will get a versionof AE that will use our GPU, been waiting a year already!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to federatedfilms

> When do you think us ATi Radeon card users will get a versionof AE that will use our GPU

After Effects already uses ATI/AMD cards for GPU features, and has for years. The single exception is one feature: the GPU acceleration for the ray-traced 3D renderer.

Details:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-i n-after-effects-cs6.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

"The single exception is one feature: the GPU acceleration for the ray-traced 3D renderer."

Yep, that's the one I'm after, why have you ignored the "other" graphics card for the Mac all this time?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to federatedfilms

It's not a matter of "ignoring". The ray-traced 3D renderer is based on code from a third party that can only run on GPUs with CUDA---i.e., Nvidia cards. It's not possible to run this on AMD/ATI cards.

Note that in the recent version of After Effects, we have taken a different path, which is to rely on Cinema 4D for 3D, and this has no dependency on any specific hardware.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Ahh I see, that helps to know why it's only NVIDIA that is supported.

So sounds like the best pathway to 3D work then is via Cinema 4D from now on instead of using illustrator files, converting to shape layers and then switching to Ray Traced 3D and extruding.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points