Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you center vocals and expand the music sound stage on a mono recording

Jul 19, 2013 4:44 PM

I have a 1972 mono music video concert recording rarity with vocals that I want to expand the soundstage using the stereo expansion function to give it more of a "stereo effect".

I tried great room reverb with 2000 ms delay and the wide stereo expansion setting in the rack. when i do that, the the vocals disperse, do not sound as clear, and centered. the music sounds great though and is what I am after. Great room reverb alone is not enough.

what is the best process to center the vocals while at the same time expand the music sound stage with a mono recording.

thanks

Rick

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 20, 2013 1:45 AM   in reply to Rick0725

Rick0725 wrote:

what is the best process to center the vocals while at the same time expand the music sound stage with a mono recording.

The acoustic trickery to do this in Audition is just about possible, but not easy. Fortunately you don't have to go through all the steps though, because there's a free plugin that does it for you - in what can only be described as an amazing manner... switch on all the options (although you might not need the multiband section), and edge up the effect amount slider. Adjust the mid-side balance to taste.

SHEPPi

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points