Skip navigation
Alan Arnold
Currently Being Moderated

Elements will not 'save' using an iMac

Jul 20, 2013 12:53 PM

Tags: #video

I have used Adobe Prem Elements for some years on a PC....No prob..love it...generally ran smoothly,but recently purchased an iMac- 0S (Mountain Lion)and loaded Mac Elements disks...

Ok probs there but sorted...Getting over probs importing clips from Panasonic FZ200 (AVCHD..and now have elements running smoothly

BUT WHEN I SAVE THE PROJECT...THEN REMOVE THE MEMORY STICK, THE FOOTAGE DOES NOT SAVE.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 20, 2013 6:38 PM   in reply to Alan Arnold

Alan Arnold,

I am strictly an Elements Windows used so if I am overlooking something please let me know since you have used Windows and Mac and I have only used Windows.

Please confirm what you are saying when you wrote:

BUT WHEN I SAVE THE PROJECT...THEN REMOVE THE MEMORY STICK, THE FOOTAGE DOES NOT SAVE.

Premiere Elements (any version, any platform) has only thumbnails (copies) of the files that are saved to the hard drive location and those copies depend on the linkage from the particular project assets to that hard drive save location.

When say the footage does not save, do you mean:

a. you open and close your project into which you have imported your media and when you reopen the project you get all missing media (Media Offline) representations

or

b. the Mac is not copying the memory stick files to its hard drive for saving?

It sounds to me like you have not saved the memory stick files to the Mac hard drive and that Premiere Elements is recognizing the save location as that memory stick. So, makes that memory stick ("save" location for the files that Premiere Elements recognizes) then the problem.

But I was reluctant to cite the above since you have said that you have Premiere Elements before. However, let us clear up this point so that we do not take anything for granted.

Bottom line: when you are importing your media into the project, how are you doing that and from where?

And, probably should have been first question, "What version of Premiere Elements are you using on the Mac?"

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2013 6:04 PM   in reply to Alan Arnold

What do you mean by "BUT WHEN I SAVE THE PROJECT...THEN REMOVE THE MEMORY STICK,"?

Have you used Premiere Elements/Add Media/From Flip or Camera to actually move the video from the camcorder to your computer?

You can't work with video that's on the memory stick or memory card. It has to be moved to your computer.

Also, have you actually output a finished video using Publish & Share/Computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2013 7:34 PM   in reply to Alan Arnold

Alan Arnold

Much of the following falls in line with what SG has written, but I wanted to elaborate on what I wrote before his contribution (do not look at post times since I went in to my post to correct a typo which reset the time).

I decided to take a first hand look, be it as it may with my Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit. I did this primarily since that laptop has a slot for an memory card.

Once I inserted the memory card, I used the Premiere Elements 11 Add Media/Videos from Flip or Cameras

(Further description: "Gets videos from FLIP, AVCHD Cameras or other Memory/Disk Devices")

and then VIdeo Importer.

The route's Video Importer has a field for Save In: Mine has a default of Videos on the Local Disk C. I set for "add to Timeline".

Once I hit Get Media, next stop for the video(s) was Project Assets as well as Timeline.

But the bottom line here is that Premiere Elements is not recognizing the memory card as the save location for the videos. It is recognizing the Save In: location designated in the Video Importer.

So whether or not you leave your memory stick in your computer should not make a difference. The save location is "videos" or your counterpart for it in your Mac, not the memory stick.

But, in writing all this, I am now wondering if you are talking about the Video Importer and not being able to get your videos saved as per the Save In designation in the video importer. Or are you saying that you lose your imported project media when you remove the memory stick from the computer slot?

Please clarify.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to Alan Arnold

Alan Arnold

Thank you so much for the follow up with the great news that you have sorted out the details presented and applied them to your workflow successfully.

Continued success. And, thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points