Skip navigation
Trevor Dennis 5,905 posts
May 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

OT: All Shaken Up

Jul 21, 2013 2:44 AM

Just by way of sharing with the regular posters, it's been a wild day here.  We've had a few little quakes near me over the last couple of days, but we had a big one this morning, and a huge 6.5 this evening that lasted 30 seconds and had my house moving back and forth like an angry giant had a hold of it.  I was in the shower when this morning's quake hit, and I thought I was going to fall through the glass.  I always thought experiencing a decent earthquake would be an adventure before coming to live in NZ, but, by heck, the 6.5 was not funny at all!!!  My wife Chris is duty manager at the hospital tonight, and she was dreading going to work, because she has to organise things if it goes seriously pear shaped while she's in charge. 

OK guys.  Sorry for the off topic, but I kind of needed to get that off my chest, so to speak.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 21, 2013 6:24 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Wow!  Glad you and your family are all right, Trevor.  I hope you haven't had serious or lasting damage done to your home, and I especially hope your wife doesn't see a lot of your countrymen at the hospital.

Be safe and be well in the aftermath.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2013 7:07 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Seems to be a lot going on those last 2 years... Well, glad you made it through unscathed.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Glad you and yours are OK.

Daily quakes are routine in my neck of the woods, and I know it begins to get very scary at around 5.5 in the Richter scale. 

Still remember vividly the 1989  6.9-Richter-scale rearthquake in the San Francisco Bay Area when I was driving toward the City and my heavy Mercury station wagon kept getting bounced up,  down and around by the road waves [!], as well as an 8.1 one while on a business trip in Mexico City in 1985.  Not fun.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 5:05 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I'll share this screenshot. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/ has an excellent up to date map of worldwide earthquakes with shake map details.

You can see you are not alone.

Edit: http://geonet.org.nz/quakes/ for your local area.

Gene

quakemap.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 8:25 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I'm sure the cat will calm down and  wander back, Trevor. From the looks of things,you are not in a tsunami zone as far as I can tell. In fact I don't think NZ has seen many of those. Other than that, I hope there is no structural damage to the house.

I'll take an earthquake over a hurricane or even over those city-flattening tornadoes in the mid-west. At least the odds are better.

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 10:15 PM   in reply to gener7

Look your house over carefully for mysterious water leaks.   It took me two months to realize a big quake broke a plastic fitting in the upstairs outside wall. Cost me 700 bucks before I  was through.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 22, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Imagine the poor thing's thinking...  "Geez, I thought this place was solid and safe to be in".

No quakes here in Florida - ever.  Just slow settling and cracking.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

No quakes here in Florida - ever.  Just slow settling and cracking.

...And the occasional dumnkopf bitten while teasing the gators.

But, hey. At least your cities aren't filing for bankruptcy (I live near Detroit).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 8:37 PM   in reply to OldBob1957

There has been no mention of any NZ quakes on the news here, but they did mention a 6.5 in China.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)