Skip navigation
A_L_M
Currently Being Moderated

Apply color correction to all footage by changing one color?

Jul 21, 2013 7:43 AM

Hello everybody,

I have two versions of the same footage which I want to synchronize and make one video out of them. By masking, I've put one on top of the other and I'm synching the footage, but the colors are slightly different in the bottom one (a bit brighter). I've tried to correct it using several filters, but even though I get some really good results changing the values (I'm using Brightness and Contrast right now, but I've also tried Color Correction, HLS, Hue/Saturation...) they're not as good as I'd like.

In several moments, for example, the sky appears, in both layers at the same time. Is there any way I can make the bottom layer correct the sky color into exactly the one in the top layer, so the changes I make in the HLS of that color apply to all footage? That way the color changes would be perfect.

Maybe this is easy to do, but I'm a beginner at After Effects so I don't really know how to do it. Online tutorials don't seem to help much either.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2013 4:33 AM   in reply to A_L_M

I've been using the re:Match plug-in for similar tasks with success. It costs $90 but there is a demo version you can try out:

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/rematch/

and also a tutorial from Andrew Devin:

http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/AE_RE-Match/1

You can also match footage in Speedgrade, but I haven't tried that feature yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to A_L_M

One could probably rig some effects with a sampleImage() expression, but color math is not trivial, especially when it needs to provide a perceptionally consistent result. Anyway, without seeing the footage it will be hard to advise specifically, but your workflow sounds upside down. The common approach with all color correction is to create a neutral setup first, meaning you try to correct both clips so their colors meet somewhere in the middle and only then you tweak the colors to create the specific grading. Your current procedures are bound to fail the moment you add more clips and your meticulously tweaked footage looks out of place again...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to A_L_M

Don't forget the SA Color Finesse effect that ships with After Effects. Its color matching with HLS mode selected has worked on sky mismatches in the past for me.

Bob Currier

Synthetic Aperture

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points