Skip navigation
rlr29711 38 posts
Mar 27, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Performance Help: AE CS6

Jul 21, 2013 12:04 PM

Hi All,

Hoping to get some assistance in understanding the performance of my machine.  I custom built the system this past year, and am a bit frustrated with my After Effects performance when animating motion graphics.  My specs are below:

3970x (currently no OC)

2x Samsung 840 Pro SSD OS

4x3TB Raid 10 Media drive

64GB 2133mhz ram

Quadro 4000

GTX 680 4GB

Settings:

3GB/CPU

11 Actual CPUs Used

4GB reserved for other Apps

50GB Cache on OS SSD

Project File is on OS SSD

Media on Raid

I am currently animating a project that, depending on the comp, contains around 35 illustrator layers. Once I keyframe everything, I pre-comp the layers and create a camera/orbit null.  Make the layers 3D and animate the camera.  I then add motion blur.  The RAM preview times are frustrating, as is the lag when I am tweaking layer/camera position.  It doesn't feel smooth, and sometimes is so slow it can hinder my work.

The only properties I have keyframed are position and opacity.

It is taking me somewhere near 12 minutes for a RAM preview around 30 seconds in length.

Is this the expected performance for this machine?

PS:  Does a GPU affect render time for any of the animation properties I am using?  I currently use my Quadro for AE.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2013 11:16 PM   in reply to rlr29711

Turn off MP rendering for RAM previews. Initializing the BG instances and creating temporary files will take longer than just previewing it single-threaded. Also, when working with AI files, you effectively load 12 instances of the AI file handler and those routines not being particularly optimized and running single-threaded themselves, you kill performance.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to rlr29711

I am looking to source a machine for AE, is this spec you are using good? or would their be anything you change.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to rlr29711

I was getting the impression that a single cpu i7 is enough, that there is problems with MP ?  Its mainly intro sequences work that I do in AE.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to Dilemmas101

Don't get confused about Render Mutliple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. That is only one feature that uses multiple processors. Regardless of whether that preference is enabled, After Effects will use multiple processors.

Or, as After Effects Help puts it:

Note:After Effects can also use multiple threads to accelerate rendering of a single frame. This form of multiprocessing doesn’t depend on the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously preference.

See this video:

https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/optimizing-cpus

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Did some digging and found a a benchmark site for AE.  With my current machine, I am getting 4mins 14sec - yes its old!

Test file direct link to aep: http://benchmark.slashcam.de/AE_RENDERTEST.aep

This looks to be a good performance guide: http://benchmark.slashcam.de/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points