Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Encore - How to create Menus with Buttons for Subtitles ?

Jul 21, 2013 9:22 PM

Tags: #buttons #menu #subtitles #encore_cs6

Does anyone know of a video tutorial that explains how to create menus in Encore that have working buttons for subtitles?  

I can see how to select or create a menu, change titles of the menu itself and the buttons and to take the pickwhip to link some of the buttons to particular sections of the video, but the pickwhip won't link to the subtitles either in the project file or the timeline.

I'd like:

Movie Title

button for Chapter 1

button for Chapter 2, etc.

Subtitles Button for option to turn on subtitles, if not selected, subtitles won't show

button for English choice

button(s) for alternate language choice(s)

I'd prefer that the subtitles be .scc.  I have figured out how to import .scc subtitles but they appear in code, not English.  When burning a DVD are .scc subtitles automatically translated into readable language?

thanks,

Paz

CS6

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2013 4:56 AM   in reply to _Paz_

If you want no subtitles when a user starts the disk, you can set them off by default. See "Set the Default ... Subtitle Track here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WSbaf9cd7d26a2eabfe8074010 38582db29-7e8ca.html#WSbaf9cd7d26a2eabfe807401038582db29-7e8aa

SCC and subtitles are two different things. I do not know whether you can convert an scc file to a subtitle file or not. A subtitle file is what you import to Encore for subtitles.

To add closed captions, see this section:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WS10C7FD4F-0F5C-40f6-BDB2- 6D1AD9D301E9a.html

There is a tutorial on closed captions at the end of that section.

You cannot preview closed captions. If this is not working, I'd look at your scc file.

A user can turn subtitles on and off with their remote, or you can create menus for this. See "Set buttons to select audio or subtitle tracks" on the same link above.

the pickwhip won't link to the subtitles either in the project file or the timeline.

Think of subtitle (and audio track) selection as a property of a link, not a link itself. So, for example, when you link from a menu button to a movie, you can "specify link" and tell Encore which subtitle or audio track you want. Encore remembers which track you selected last, and the default is "no change." So instead of specifying for each link, you set a default (for when the disk starts) and then you have a menu to allow the user to change.

I prefer a  separate menu for subtitle selection.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to _Paz_

I am not an expert on CC (or lots of other things for that matter!)  But I think of CC as primarily a function of the TV signal, that the TV shows or not. In an age of smart devices, I don't know if you are actually enabling it on your cable box, the cable box is telling the TV to show CC, or the cable box remote is directly telling the TV to show CC.

Subtitles, on the other hand, are a function of the DVD and DVD player. I don't see a CC button on the DVD player remote image I pulled up, but I see one on the TV control.

So with what you have produced, use the remote controls to see what you can turn on or off. Step one is getting the subtitles and CC on the disk. Step two is sorting out the navigation.

I also found that the tutorial does not play; the page loads fine. I reported the problem to Infinite Skills.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Infinite Skills has the video running again; so check it out!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to _Paz_

Set up a simple test project with a short standard definition video and a couple subtitles. (You can add them manually.) Encore preview will show/hide them. You can experiment with the navigation like that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points