Skip navigation
pg36
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to import NEF raw files and also import the tags from the existing XMP sidecar files?

Jul 22, 2013 7:19 AM

Tags: #import_keywords #import_tags

I use Daminion to organise, tag and filter my photo collection. It allows me to place all of the tags in sidecar .xmp files. It uses the Adobe libraries to create these files. When I import the photos into Lightroom 3 or 5, Lightroom does not currently read the tags in the sidecar files.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get Lightroom to read the .xmp tag info?

Is there a setting in Lightroom that I am missing?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to pg36

Yes, there is a command under the Metadata menu that tells Lightroom to read metadata from the files (which also works for xmp sidecar files)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to pg36

I (and others in this forum) use Geosetter to write GPS coordinates and locations to an .xmp file and then Lightroom will read those.

I haven't tried to use Geosetter to write tags/keywords to the file and then see if Lightroom will read the tags/keywords.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to pg36

These are Nikon D7000 NEF files, with associated .xmp sidecar files. (Also works for my D80 NEF files)

Just a wild guess, but are your xmp sidecar files in the same folder as the NEF?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 3:33 AM   in reply to pg36

Whilst reading this thread, I wondered why you don't just do the tasks you currently undertake in Daminion, in Lightroom itself? This is not a critisism, but I cannot see from what little I have read about Daminion, what avantages it has over Lightroom.

Anthony.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 3:51 AM   in reply to Anthony.Ralph

Daminion allows multiple users to access the catalog at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 4:04 AM   in reply to dj_paige

Yes, I did see that on the little review I read. I wonder if the OP uses the Pro version and it's networking facilities - perhaps he will chime in and let us know. :-)

Anthony.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to pg36

To use your analogy, I would assert that Lightroom far from being a wrench is first class hammer. It has decent digital asset magement capabilities and a comprehensive set of tools to do the things you describe  in Daminion . Oh, and it has a develop module for your images as well. :-)

I admit that the lack of networking features in Lightroom is a draw back - assuming one has a need for them. Also, Adobe are curiously reticent in allowing such file types as Word, AutoCad and other non-graphic file types to be handled in the database. A rather narrow definition of asset management in my view.

My thoughts are that it is preferable to use the least number of programs possible in achieving the smoothest and most straightforward workflow, hence my comments in this thread...

Anthony.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points