Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Stabilizing

Jul 22, 2013 10:28 AM

I am still try to finish post production in Premiere Elements 10 (an endless prcoess for me)  and I wanted to get this board's opinion on stabilization.  I purchased a great software program called Mercalli Easy Video Stabilizer 2.0 and I feel it does an amazing job at stabilizing video.  (we had to shoot  afew scenes without the tripod) On the down side , i noticed a small but definitely noticeable decrease in quality which I am guessing can be attributed to the folloing 3 reasons in varying degree:

1.  It's not a plug-in so i ahve to export the section out of my project to add the stabilizing effect and then import the updated fil eback in

2  There are no specific output settings on mercalli, jst wmv and mpeg so I am saving to wmv, in order to maintain the hd, but i do not believe i am maintainig the full hd project settings of 1920x1080. Then tack on reason #1 and I am creating a second generation video with settigns that do not match.

3.  It requires a zoomig effect to stabilize and I believe that zoom wil always decrease quality to soe extent?

Still, all an all, not a horrible decrease in quality so maybe it's a good tradeoff to get the superior stabilization effect.  I do not believe that I will get the same smoothing with the built-in adobe effect but I wanted to get a senee if people feel the quality of the video will be noticeably better after stabilizing within Adobe's effects.

Thanks for your time!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

You wrote

1.  It's not a plug-in so i have to export the section out of my project to add the stabilizing effect and then import the updated file back in

Why? I thought that Mercali Stabilizer came as a plug-in which could be used by Premiere Elements

http://johnrappold.org/photoblog/index,php/review-prodad-mercalli-vide o-stabilization-plugin/

And, it seems to show compatibility with Premiere Elements including versions 11, 10, 9, and 8 Windows.

http://www.prodad.com/home/products/video_optimization/300391667/plugi ns,l-us.html

So how do you find yourself in the situation involving all these file transfers from program to program?

What am I missing?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

We will be watching for your results. I was going to try to download the tryout to see what I would get, but decided to wait for further details on your present situation.

Depending on what you find out, you may want to download the tryout before purchasing it.

Hope this turns out well.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123 wrote:

Mercalli Easy Video Stabilizer 2.0

This is a cut down version of ProDad Mercalli v2. According to its website.

Mercalli Easy not only stabilizes and adjusts your video, but exports into common formats needed for posting on popular sharing sites, copying to mobile devices or creating a DVD to watch on the big screen.

It's an extra $99 to upgrade to the full featured version that would give the full range of export formats.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to nealeh

nealeh

Is what you are describing the standalone, non plug-in for Premiere Elements, or can it be both?

It sounds like there are two different species and unfortunately what adobenewbie123 has the standalone and not the plug-in whose use would be expected to avoid all these file transfers.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

The full version (plug-in and standalone) is $249. I think the $99 upgrade is for the standalone only.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

The results are going to depend on the nature of the stabilization being required.

Have you done the critical test where, for a given video with its particular stabilization issues, you compare the trade off between the extent of the video stabilization that can be done within Premiere Elements versus the routine you have been using with Mercalli and all those file transfers.

I do not believe that there is one size fits all for Premiere Elements Video Stabilizer. It appears to be exploration and experimentation to find the best you can do with it.

Did you see this thread

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11865&p=101253&hilit=Me rcalli+Video+Stabilizer#p101253

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

I'm pretty sure the quality drop will be noticeably less, as you're starting with 1920x1080 HD source and Mercalli Easy is using compressed formats.

Why not try it out and see. It is an Effect so like any other effect drag it to your clip.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

If you do your comparative workflows, one thing I would like you to note....

a. If you go the Mercalli route as you have with the file transfers, when you get back to Premiere Elements, what does the time to render that file on the Timeline look like?

as compared to

b. Applying the Premiere Elements Video Stabilizer effect to the Timeline file and then rendering that file there on the Timeline?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 2:28 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

I would second your choice for the wmv progressive with the high quality.

Did you run into any of this 1/2 wmv display related to a recent Windows Update kb?

As always, continued success, your progress is great and growing.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to adobenewbie123

adobenewbie123

That 1/2 wmv display related to a recent Windows Update kb has been a major thread topic.

Check out the Announcement at the top of this forum for the kb details. It should look like this

MicroSoft has issued an Update for Windows, that is causing problems with Displays. The following is from Talbot McInnis, who tracked down this problem, and offers a fix:

"MS bulliten MS13-057.  Specifically, on XP kb2834904 and on windows 7 kb2803821 is causing a problem

For us, it occurs when decoding WMV9 files.  Not all uses of WMV decoding are affected, but I confirmed that when connecting the WMV decode DLL to a sample grabber for RGB32 video, the frames arrive black on top, so that points directly to decoding internals of the WMV Decode dll.

You can uninstall these windows updates to resolve your problem."

There are several threads on the problem that this Update is causing on the PrE and PrPro Forums, so one can get more details. So far, there is not another fix from either MS, or Adobe.

Also, see this Adobe KB Article: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/wmv-files-corrupted-import-or.h tml

by Bill Hunt (Jul 12, 2013)

Major helpful suggestions include....

a. For now setting Windows Updates for notification and approval before any downloading and installing of them

b. If you do catch the offending kb in Important Updates, right click it and select Hide. That is supposed to keep it from coming back

Please let us know if you have gotten rid of that problem kb as defined in the Announcement.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points