Skip navigation
amt23
Currently Being Moderated

How to create this texture?

Jul 22, 2013 2:37 PM

Tags: #textures

thepillsmell.jpg

this is a common texute I've seen around, but I am not very familar with the filters in photoshop/illustrator, can any boday help me to finally figure this out?

Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2013 3:18 PM   in reply to amt23

This is the texture of a .gif file with a limited color palette. Save your image for the web, select the .gif file type, and play with the settings.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,934 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2013 6:36 PM   in reply to Gary Politzer

Gary, if you look closely, you can see a fine dot pattern overlaying the image, and that would probably be better described as a texture than the cartoon like reduced colour bit depth.

You can add the fine dots using Filter > Sketch > Half tone.  Add a new layer above the graphic, and fill with 50% grey.  Apply the Halftone filter to it, and set its blend mode to Overlay.  It's the same method as non destructive dodge and burn, or course, but it works very nicely for adding noise, or texture non-destructively.  You can edit the texture layer directly, or do a non-destructive edit to your non-destructive texture, by clipping a levels or curves adjustment layer to it. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2013 9:07 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I was thinking of dithering, when I read Gary's response. Sometimes its hard to tell unless you zoom in close.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points