Skip navigation
hamiterj
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop animation quality on Youtube

Jul 22, 2013 3:06 PM

Tags: #photoshop #cs5 #quality #animation_freezing

I've created a series of animated sequences in Photoshop CS5. The look fine when rendered to Quicktime...in Quicktime. Uploading them as a test on Youtube is where the problem lies. If I go with YouTube's recommended settings (incl H.264 codec), the black lines look jagged, not smooth. But the sequence plays just fine. When I go with the Animation codec, the sequence looks much better, but gets choppy or hangs up. I have to add that I'm editing in iMovie '11, but this happens whether exported from iMovie or directly from Photoshop. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to hamiterj

If the video is choppy or hangs, thats usually a sign of a slow computer or internet connection. It can also be a sign of a corrupted video.

Try reducing the frame rate or resolution and see if it speeds up(plays smoother) even though the quality may not be a good.

It just might come down on what your willing to compromise with smooth/poor quality vs choppy/high quality.

If your lucky you can find an inbeween setting that you can live with.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,925 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 22, 2013 7:00 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

I don't know about animations, but with H.264 video, YouTube can do nasty things to it when recompressing.  Similar to the mayhem flickr wreaks on stills when downsizing them.  Grrrrrr.  Handbrake is a cool free app that does an amazing job of reducing file sizes while maintaining quality.  I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work with an h.264 animation, and it might get past YouTube's arbitary transcoding the upload.  Just a guess though.

Vimeo is kinder to your work BTW

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2013 11:36 PM   in reply to hamiterj

You need to read up on video CoDecs, datarates and all that stuff...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,925 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 23, 2013 4:26 AM   in reply to Mylenium

It's probably not a fair comparison, because I have been using Photoshop for so long, but ISTM that Premiere Pro and the whole format/wrapper/CODEC etc. etc. etc. thing was way more difficult to learn.  You might as well tell someone the need to read up on quantum mechanics, except I am sure that would be easier to learn.  Thank goodness for those long lists of export presets in Premier Pro CS6 and CC.

I guess the best place to find how to format stuff for YouYube, is YouTube.

https://support.google.com/youtube/topic/2888648?hl=en&ref_topic=16547

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points