Skip navigation
lee tookey
Currently Being Moderated

Contact Form DWcss6

Jul 23, 2013 2:15 AM

Hi there guys,

I am having some issues on where to place my folder and PHP files within DW, the form has been made by a form builder and uses Java Scrpit and jQeury, css.

So I have (I think) all of what I need files ect, but just dont know where to put them within DW HTML_PUBLIC file?.

Can I just put the all files in the html_public file named contact or do I need to do something else?.

Hope this makes sense? :-}

Thank you in advance.

Lee

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 23, 2013 7:13 AM   in reply to lee tookey

I always determine the folder hierarchy first on my local computer, and then after testing it on my local computer, upload to the HTML_PUBLIC folder on server as a duplicate of the local site.

Files can be placed in any folder or subfolder you wish AS LONG AS THE LINK PATHS REFERRING TO THOSE FILES ARE CORRECT.

On small sites I only set up one subfolder named "images".

In a larger site with a lot of scripts, I might set up a "scripts" folder.

Above all things, make sure you have used Site Manager to define you site so DW can manage the link paths for you

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to lee tookey

If your server supports PHP, you can place your script anywhere within your site. As long as your form page references the correct location, it will work fine.

As Ken mentioned, your server file/directory structure will need to be a duplicate of what you have locally so your paths to files, folders and scripts function. Basically, everything WITHIN the root folders needs to be the same...

YOUR SITE (local root folder)

index.html

-pages

page1.html

page2.html

form.php

form_script.php

html_public (server root folder)

index.html

-pages

page1.html

page2.html

form.php

form_script.php

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to lee tookey

Typically a contact form needs two files.

One is the actual html form page you make in DW. The other is the form processor script you write in php (or download, possibly from your hosting company).

The form page itself doesn't normally need to be .php, but within the form's action attribute there needs be a link to the processor script.

Something like...

<form id="my_form" action="form_processor.php" method="post">

Without a processing script, your html form won't do much. You can use a mailto link for the action, but that is a bad plan since spam bots can easily harvest your email and start flooding your in box with garbage.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points