Skip navigation
ksilva4242
Currently Being Moderated

Why does the play-head go back to the beginning of a timeline/project by default

Jul 23, 2013 4:28 PM

Tags: #jumps_timeline

When working in timeline mode, the program (Premier Elements 10) often wants to go back to the very beginnning of the timeline/project when you're working on the tail end of a project, (which of course, is most of the time). I'm not sure what key or function I may be hitting to cause this behavior because it doesn't happen 100% of the time (more like 80%). But it's quite frustrating to continually have to zoom out to view the whole project/timeline, stop the playback (it automatically goes into play mode from the beginning of the timeline), and then zoom back to where you were working at the end of the project.

I have been through all menus and can't find an option to shut that "feature" off. 

I'm running Premier Elements 10 on a Windows 7 (64 bit) machine.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 23, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to ksilva4242

ksilva4242

Are you aware of certain shortcuts that might lessen what cannot be changed?

Computer Home Key takes the Timeline Indicator to the start of the Timeline.

End Key takes the Timeline Indicator to the end of the Timeline content.

Clicking on a spot on the gray area immediately above sight of the Timeline tracks commands the Timeline Indicator to that spot.

The Timeline Indicator can be moved from clip to clip (left to right) Page Down and from clip to clip (right to left) Page Up.

If you do not want playback of your Timeline content immediately after it is rendered there, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark next to "Play work area after rendering previews".

Are you using the scroll bar under the Soundtrack area to click and drag the Timeline left to right OR right to left?

Please review and then let us know if any of that helped. Also, please keep what for the factor(s) that are doing an auto return to the start of the Timeline when you do not want that.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 8:00 PM   in reply to ksilva4242

ksilva4242

If you have not already, please check out the others comments that I have made about shortcuts in your other current thread.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I can't remember how to get my playhead to not snap back to the beginning when i press spacebar at the end of the timeline.  do you know where i can find that customization checkbox?

thx

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to emmettshort35

emmettshort35

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

The answer to your question as I understand it is printed here already.

That would be, to get the Timeline Indicator back to the start of the Timeline 00;00;00;00, you would press the Home key.

All possible interpretations are included in what is already writtten above:

Computer Home Key takes the Timeline Indicator to the start of the Timeline.

End Key takes the Timeline Indicator to the end of the Timeline content.

Clicking on a spot on the gray area immediately above sight of the Timeline tracks commands the Timeline Indicator to that spot.

The Timeline Indicator can be moved from clip to clip (left to right) Page Down and from clip to clip (right to left) Page Up.

If you do not want playback of your Timeline content immediately after it is rendered there, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark next to "Play work area after rendering previews".

You can also check Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization/Application to see if there is anything of interest there.

If I have not targeted your question, please give further details and I will think about this some more to determine if there is something that I am overlooking.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

oops I'm on premiere cc. is this the wrong thread?

Also what is happening since i reinstalled is that when the playhead reaches the end of the timeline it stops. which is good. but i have a habbit of pressing spacebar right then to stop playback but what inevitably happens is that it sends me back to the beginning of the timeline and starts playback there. 

before the reinstall I had it set up to where it would not jump back to the beginning unless i pressed the home key. 

I'm an experienced user i just can't seem to remember how i did that.  :/

thanks for your help

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to emmettshort35

emmettshort35

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. So, I am not sure if there may be a workflow twist and turn on this matter in any of the Premiere Pro versions.

A just in case note since you probably have been there and done that, the link for the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere

Have you gone to the Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization/ area to go through the list of possible keyboard shortcuts to refresh your memory on what you could have used to find your preferred workflow?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to emmettshort35

oops I'm on premiere cc. is this the wrong thread?

[Moved to PrPro Forum.]

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 7:48 PM   in reply to emmettshort35

Check your Preference Settings for controlling  these behaviours

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)