Skip navigation
TrooperHales
Currently Being Moderated

Poor DVD quality

Jul 24, 2013 5:48 PM

When I burn a DVD in Premiere Elements 11, the quality of the DVD is poor. The preview file looks great. The project is a mixture of SD video, HD pics and audio.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 24, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to TrooperHales

TrooperHales

What computer operating system are you running Premiere Elemens 11 on?

In what way is the DVD quality poor...clarity, flicker, jerky motion, audio out of sync, etc?

Since you have a mixed Timeline, what are you or the project setting for the project preset? What are the properties of the source media....

a. SD video...format, assumed 16:9...file extension

b. HD video...format, interlaced or progressive...file extension

c. photos...how many and what pixel dimensions

d. audio...format, file extension

Can we assume you target is DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc? Are you working from a PAL or NTSC setup?

Let us see if you can identify anything in the above details that we might pursue in our troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 6:52 PM   in reply to TrooperHales

>SD video, HD pics

You might want to re-size your HD pictures to match your SD project

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 7:39 PM   in reply to TrooperHales

TrooperHales

For now assuming a NTSC setup and DVD-VIDEO widescreen format on DVD disc...

What are you setting as the project preset for this Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit project?

Since the photos no matter how high their resolution will be reduced to the standard of the export, in your case, 720 x 480 with 16:9 flag, the use of high resolution photos may compromise your results in editing and/or exporting. They may not. You have to define your limits. If you have no problems, proceed. But, when you have problems in your workflow, we need to rule in or out the photo's pixel dimensions as a factor in the results.

The classical comment is 2200 x 1238/1920 x 1080 pixels as the not to exceed for HD and 1000 x 750 or thereabout for SD. These classical suggestions can be stretched somewhat in the later version where you are dealing with a 64 bit application in Premiere Elements on a 64 bit computer operating system. Some can go over these suggestions and succeed; others cannot and are reporting problems in trying to bypass this type of comment. In the latter case, resizing of the photos has resolved the issue.

So, please take a few of the photos that are way over 1920 x 1080 and resize them to at least 1920 x 1080 and then do a mini test run DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD and see if the resizing made any difference in the quality of results obtained at playback of the video on your TV's DVD player.

Are the photos grainy before and after export? Are they just grainy or can the term flicker be applied to their presentation?

Are you finding better, same, or worse quality in your comparison of DVD-VIDEO playback on computer versus TV's DVD player?

We will be watching for your results.

You also want to make sure that you computer is optimized and that the Scratch Disks are directed to a hard drive save location with adequate free space to accept them. Also, is your video and audio card drivers up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Is your burner firmware up to date?

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to TrooperHales

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to TrooperHales

TrooperHales

Glad for the news "video is fixed and looks great".

Back in post 4, I asked

For now assuming a NTSC setup and DVD-VIDEO widescreen format on DVD disc...

What are you setting as the project preset for this Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit project?

I do not recall that you answered that question. So in view of what you just wrote about your success, what did you have it set at and what did you change the project preset to in order to gain your success?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to TrooperHales

TrooperHales,

Great news, and glad that you now have higher quality in your DVD-Video.

When working with higher-rez source material, but going to an SD (Standard Def) output, there can be issues - most of them perceptual. If one compares the SD output to the original, the SD will pale in a side-by-side comparison. It is about 1/6 the resolution, so will never look as good as the originals.

Also, within the parameters of SD, there is another factor, that come into play. A DVD disc has limited capacity, regarding file sizes. The Bit-Rate of the Encoding, to fit the material onto the blank disc will have to go down, affecting quality, if the Duration of the Timeline is long. For ultimate playback quality, I attempt to keep the Bit-Rate in about the 7 - 8 MB/s range. If I find that I have to go much lower, I then begin to think about using a DL blank disc, so that I can adjust my Bit-Rate back up. In very basic terms, DVD-Video is limited to a Bit-Rate of ~ 10MB/s, but that is for BOTH the Audio and Video. That means that for the Video, one is limited to ~ 9MB/s, to allow for a bit of overhead and also the Audio. Some DVD players have issues, when one is near that upper limit, so I leave a bit more headroom, and limit the Bit-Rate to ~ 8 max. Some will push the limit by going up to 9MB/s. For delivered DVD-Videos, I do not want to push that limit, and find a client with older gear, who cannot play my disc.

If one is pushing the limits of a single-layer, single-sided DVD-5 (say having to use a Bit-Rate below about 5MB/s, then I strongly suggest that they begin thinking in terms of using a DVD-9, and getting that Bit-Rate back up, even if their Project is not completely filling up the DVD-9.

Also, when one displays a DVD-Video on a high-rez, large screen TV, or computer monitor, they will not be seeing things at their best. DVD-Video was designed to be shown on an SD CRT TV, as that was the equipment available, when the spec. was written. Back then, we were wonderfully surprised when DVD-Video looked so much better than VHS tape did - a real step-up. However, with the advent of HD TV's and computer monitors, we began seeing the "warts" with the limitations of DVD-Video. That was when BD (Blu-ray Disc) came into being, but DVD-Video has still remained popular, but will NEVER be as good as BD. However, the more recent, and higher-quality DVD players, and most BD players have been equipped with chips, that do a marvelous job of up-rezzing DVD-Video. Those hardware chips are just great, and if one plays a DVD-Video, that has a nice high Bit-Rate on a player with them, they will see that DVD-Video as good as it gets.

Those are just some of the considerations, that come into play with DVD-Video, and especially if there is some HD material in the Project - that will have to be down-rezzed to SD, and there is nothing that can be done about it, other than to do an HD Project w/ all HD material, and author to a BD.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points