Currently Being Moderated

Opening photos from the Organizer in the Editor

Jul 24, 2013 6:48 PM

Tags: #elements_11

Photo Editor will not open when pics are selected from the Organizer on my Mac

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 24, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to Bill G44

If you go to Applications->Adobe Photoshop Elements < version number > ->Support files, and start the editor from there, does it open?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 7:23 PM   in reply to Bill G44

Just troubleshooting. So we know the problem isn't the editor. How are you sending the photos, and which version of PSE is this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to Bill G44

I would first go to file>manage catalogs, find your catalog>repair>optimize.

Does it work if you right-click/control-click a photo and choose Edit with Photoshop Elements?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 2:33 AM   in reply to Bill G44
    I'm working on a Mac Air.  No right click

Yes there is. Go to system prefs>trackpad and you can set it up to use two fingers to right click, if you want. EDIT I'm pretty sure that's the default setting, incidentally. If you weren't aware of it, I strongly suggest you watch the video in system prefs, because you're missing out onn a lot of what that trackpad can do.

However, you can also hold the control key and single tap to do the same thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to Bill G44

Wait, what are you trying to do? iPhoto and organizer serve the same purpose--to organize and keep track of your photos. Eventually you must choose between them.

If you mean you want to give organizer a tryout, export some photos from iphoto, put the copies where you want to keep them, then use File>Get Photos>From Files and Folders to import the copies into organizer.

But if you keep trying to use both programs to organize your photos, in the long term you will just make yourself crazy. Sooner or later you must choose which organization program to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to Bill G44

Now I'm extremely confused. I thought your problem was getting photos from the organizer to the editor within PSE, so obviously I've been not understanding from the very beginning what you want to do. Step by step, please.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to Bill G44

Then why are you asking about iphoto in message 8?

Assuming that you're actually leaving iphoto totally out of the whole thing, then go to your username>library>preferences and delete:

com.adobe.ElementsOrganizer.11.0.plist

com.adobe.ElementsOrganizer11.plist

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 paths

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 settings

and any lockfiles with the same names.

If you are using 10.7 or 10.8:  That library is hidden. To see it, option-click the Go menu in the Finder and it will appear below the little house for your user account. While you're in there, go to the Saved Application States folder and delete everything for Photoshop Elements and the Organizer.

Repair permissions and try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 10:58 AM   in reply to Bill G44

What version of OS X do you have? They are most assuredly there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to Bill G44

If I delete the files you reocmmend will this in any way affect my iphoto library?

No. However, you do realize that now you have double copies of all your iphoto images? Organizer makes duplicates when using "from iphoto" to avoid messing with the iphoto library. On an air, where storage is tight, this may be a significant concern or not, depending on how many images you're talking about.

You have definitely decided to ditch iphoto? Then I would delete the iphoto library once you get PSE up and running. If you haven't decided between iphoto and organizer, duplicating everything is a space-wasting way to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to Bill G44

You do understand that there is no need to use organizer at all? You can use iphoto with the PSE editor if you prefer.

. I was not able to find them in the Adobe Elements Aplication folder or by doing a search on the name of the files

No, of course not. First of all, the file path I gave has nothing to do with applications at all. Please look again at the directions I gave you. You can never find those sorts of files by searching with spotlight, unless you go to a lot of trouble altering what spotlight searches for. By default it only ever searches for your own files and documents, not anything that is part of OS X.

To begin, click once on the desktop so that you are in the Finder, then go up to the top of the screen, click the Go menu and hold down the Option key. You should see this:

Untitled copy.jpg

Click on Library. Once that window opens, go to Preferences and you should see the files you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to Bill G44

What is the file path for one of the photos?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to Bill G44

I want to know where one of your photos lives, so hard drive>users>Barbara>documents>Canon>County Fair 2011>IMG_1034.cr2, for example, would be the file path for a sample photo on my computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 6:53 PM   in reply to Bill G44

The vast majority (42GB) live in: HD>carolgay1>pictures>I;photolibrary

I imported the Iphotos into PE 11 using File>Get Photos and Videos>From Iphoto

That's your iphoto library, not the pics in the organizer. You will have duplicates of all those if you used the from iphoto import command.

To find the location of any file in the organizer, first click Info on the top of the right hand panel, then click the word location, which opens a finder window so you can see exactly where it is. You can also see the file path in the info panel, but usually it's truncated because there's not enough room for it all:

Screen Shot 2013-07-25 at 9.51.15 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to Bill G44

We're no further along than in my last post, since there is no screenshot. You can't send attachments by email. Either type out the path or come to the forum's website and use the camera button above the message composition area.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to Bill G44

If you put an image not in the organizer someplace else on your computer, like the desktop, and then import it, does it have the same problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 4:45 PM   in reply to Bill G44

Sorry I wasn't clear. I thought I specified organizer. I meant import an image that is on your desktop into the organizer, then see if that one works better than the ones in the favorites folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to Bill G44

Then at this point, I would suggest uninstalling PSE via the uninstlaler in the PSE 11 folder in applications, then create a new admin user and reinstall it there. Then return to your old account and see if it works any better.

Repair permissions after the reinstall, before using the program.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 9:05 PM   in reply to Bill G44

You need to create a new user in OS X, not anything to do with PSE.  Go to system preferences>users & groups, click the padlock so you can make changes, click the plus button, then be sure that Allow this user to administer this computer is turned on. Log out of your current account and into the new one, install PSE, then go back to your old account and see if it works any better than it has been doing. If it does you can go back to system preferences and delete the new user you just created.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points