Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Tiff size from Illustrator CC

Jul 25, 2013 7:18 AM

Tags: #illustrator_cc #tiff_size

Yesterday we moved from CS6 to CC. Illustrator files that we previously saved out as tiffs from CS6 are now coming out much larger from CC. i.e. tiff was 1mb from CS6 now 18mb from CC. We have checked settings: colour space, dpi and lzw compression and can not see anything different. Anyone got any ideas or come across this problem.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to belac999

Will it be possible for you to share the source file with us.

~Raghuveer

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to belac999

To which id you have mailed these files ?

Thanks & Regards,

Raghuveer

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to belac999

I did a quick test from CS5 and CC and got similar results: A 30MB AI file was saved to TIFF: 10MB vs. 47MB. Opening in PS, it appears that LZW compression is not being assigned, even though the option was chosen. Re-saving from PS WITH LZW compression produced nearly identical file sizes of 3.7MB.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to belac999

I can confirm. LZW compression is not working in Illustrator CC (at least Windows version). If I export to TIFF with LZW option checked and then check the created TIFF properities it says 'copression: none'.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to belac999

Agreed, needs fixing asap. I just inadvertently broke a 300 page PhD thesis word document as a handful of figures I inserted were 30-60 MB instead of 1-5 MB. The document ballooned to over 500 MB and Word later refused to open it. I had to go into the doc archive and recompress all the figures in Photoshop. Most of my images were exported straight into my dropbox so excessively large files will also result in wasted bandwidth...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 10:50 PM   in reply to Zenomarketing

I am wondering why do you need TIFF out from AI?

If you need to print it professionally with a layout application use AI or PDF.

If you need to import them into Word use on Windows export to EMF or if it is more complicated as PNG. Both ways would result in smaller files size and I think not in worser quality.

If you have to do some work in Photoshop, you can either export as PSD or place the AI file directly in Photoshop.

I see no situation where the use of TIFF files from Ai make sense?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

It was mainly by habit - I liked having the dpi, display size etc in the tags so that programs like Word will always display it as I intend. However, I didn't realise that PNGs internally store dpi and thus Word for example can calculate display size just fine. The PNG exports are lossless and smaller in filesize so are in fact the better option, which I will proceed with now instead.

Thanks for pointing that out!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 1:27 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

One of the reasons might be printer's requirements - the one I had to use at some point doesn't accept AI format.

Best,

Paweł

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 12:15 AM   in reply to PL_OLO11

PL_OLO11 wrote:

One of the reasons might be printer's requirements - the one I had to use at some point doesn't accept AI format.

Best,

Paweł

If a printer does not accept PDF, take another one.

AI can be used like any other PDF in Acrobat Pro or Reader or save it as PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:14 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

Thanks Wilii, but as I said I HAD to use the guy for that job.

Oh, did I mention he didn't accept PDF either?

My workaround was simply down saving, opening the file in CS5.5 and exporting to TIFF from there.

Best,

Paweł

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points