Skip navigation
drelidan
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a performance difference between Automation Plug-ins and the scripting system?

Jul 25, 2013 11:25 AM

Tags: #scripting #automation #merging_layers

We currently have a tool that, through the scripting system, merges and hides layers by layer groups, exports them, and then moves to the next layer group.  There is some custom logic and channel merging that occasionally occurs in the merging of an individual layer group.  These operations are occuring through the scripting system (actually, through C# making direct function calls through Photoshop), and there are some images where these operations take ~30-40 minutes to complete on very large images.

Is there a performance difference between doing the actions in this way as opposed to having these actions occur in an automation plug-in?

Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to drelidan

Are you using the DOM or the ActionDescriptor, ActionList, ActionReference API? There is a significant slow down using the DOM when looping over the layers. I have that as an item to improve but for a document with large layers, 100+ I would advise trying to get the layer + layer set count via ActionDescriptor and loop them that way. It is a lot of work however! Hopefully I can improve it soon and you wont have to deal with writing a workaround.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points