Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where is my bottleneck when I drop frames?

Jul 25, 2013 3:41 PM

OK I totally understand that I will not run 6 DSLR streams at the same time, but I am curious what is causing the dropped frames in this video since it appears I do not have a bottleneck from the tools I was using to monitor the playback.

I also understand that using the .mov h.264 files to edit and grade with is also not the right answer too but well I am lazy.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2013 4:38 PM   in reply to Dave Dugdale

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the great videos. My guess is that you are experiencing dropped frames because:

a) You working with QuickTime wrapped DSLR footage. Premiere Pro has to send it through QuickTime server to interpret the 32 bit file in a 64 bit application.

b) You are working with a highly compressed codec: H.264

c) You have 6 streams of QuickTime wrapped H.264 footage.

You might try your test leaving QuickTime out of the test, but I understand if that's not practical for you.

Thanks,
    Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Dave Dugdale

With today's fast hard drives and SSDs, my understanding is that any decoding bottleneck is most likely in the CPU.  Even a 7200 RPM drive is fast enough to handle, in theory, 7 streams of 100Mbps DVCPro or similar, etc.  What bit-rate does your DNxHD have?

I don't know how much power each core needs to do any particular task, but it seems like almost any task I perform (except encoding) never uses the full power of any single CPU, until it uses all 8 cores (or what have you).

Kevin makes an interesting point about quicktime being 32-bit in a 64-bit world.  I didn't know that.  Any ideas when Apple will update their software?  How many years have we been on ver. 7.x?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to Dave Dugdale

Dave,

I wonder what your test would look like in Premiere Pro CC?

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to Dave Dugdale

Perhaps it is a mutli-threading issue.

Given the bugs and outdatedness of QuickTime, I wouldn't be surprised.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

don't think a single SATA HDD can handel too much stuff... the key for stable playback with lots of different clips and most important - fast export times is a really fast storage...

to work with 2K DPX and DNXHD 200MBit/s I use some 600MB/s Raid-0 Arrays... Premiere will use max 50% of it never writes faster than 250 to 350MB/s to them...

If you read and write form a single SATA HDD the export times will explode... a SSD with high I/O performance can handle this a lot better...

Example: Export 6Ch Audio with about 6GB from SATA HDD - 25min - the same from SSD 3min...

The CPU and GPU only can help you if they will be used - if you wait for a low performance Quicktime I/O - you will wait and your CPU too... (compare export time to MPEG2 100MBit/s with some 100MBit/s Quicktime exports...)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 7:10 PM   in reply to Dave Dugdale

Dave D. wrote:

So I gave up trying to install Pr CC, sorry.

You're seriously better off, Dave (sorry, Kevin and everyone at Adobe).  Premiere Pro CC is far from ready to be released to the public (even though it already has been).  I'm going back to CS6 tomorrow starting fresh with a new project.  I'm putting a complete halt on a current project that is stuck in CC (too far to back out and start over in CS6) until the next bug fix update when I'll try again. 

Playing in the Adobe support forums for the last month or so has been fun, but it's time to get back to work.

Consider yourself lucky you were unable to download it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 1:18 AM   in reply to Dave Dugdale

Dave, I would be extremely interested if you conducted a similar test using Edius (which I am thinking of moving over to.)  Great videos!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points