Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

pan and zoom Elements 11

Jul 25, 2013 6:18 PM

The bounding box does not encompass the entire photo. It is limited to a certain size and the box will not adjust. I was wanting to start with the entire photo and scale down, but I cannot get the handles to go to all 4 corners. This is my first time to use Elements. I have used Pro, so I may be expecting too much. I resized all photos to 1200's before I imported.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to jwoods65

jwood65

What is your Premiere Elements 11 project preset and what are the pixel dimensions of the photo that you want to pan and zoom. Are you dealing with 3:2, 4:3, or 16:9 photos?

If you have a 4:3 project preset or a 16:9 project preset and you bring that into a  4:3 or 16:9 respectively project, you should be seeing frame 1 full size.

Note that the feature comes with 2 pre-made frames as starters.

Here is an example of a 4:3 photo with the NTSC DV Standard project preset and the Premiere Elements 11 Pan and Zoom Workspace.

StandardP&Z.JPG

Pre-made frame 1 full and pre-made frame 2 downsized awaiting your adjustments.

Please detail your project preset and the pixel dimensions of your photo, and we will try to define the issue and resolution.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...This is my example of 16:9 photo with a 16:9 project preset Premiere Elements 11 Pan and Zoom Tool

16 9 .JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 7:53 PM   in reply to jwoods65

Judy

Premiere Elements does not have multiple sequences the way that Premiere Pro has. There is only one project preset per project and that should match the properties of your source media so that the program is directed to setup a space in the Edit Mode Monitor to match your media properties...avoiding black borders.

So, if you have a mixed Timeline (different formats), you need to plan strategy, setting priorities. If you target one format and want to include a second, you may have to scale one up or down in the Monitor to fill the space there.

In your case, I think that we have to focus on your intended export and its aspect ratio, either 4:3 or 16:9.

If the photos need resizing...if 4:3 photos going to 4:3 export OR 16:9 photos going to 16:9 export, then "batch resizing" would be in order.

But, if you have 4:3 photos going to 16:9 or vice versa, then you should do "batch cropping & resizing". Many programs offer batch resizing, some cropping & resizing. The free IrfanView is often mentioned for the batch cropping & resizing. Photoshop Elements and Photoshop are frequent choices for the batch resizing task. Scaling the as is photo to fit the Edit Mode Monitor space is always an option. But, typically better results are obtained when the photo cropping and/or resizing is done beforehand.

With 300 photos involved, it is always a good idea to do the mini test runs before the grand project.

We will be watching for your progress. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 2:14 AM   in reply to jwoods65

Judy,

Steve Grisetti, our MOD here, has a great Learning Series, Basic Training, that is a very good place to start, when one is new to PrE. Note: he also has several books, that I recommend highly. This article has links to many learning resources: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3953827#3953827

There are also some AdobeTV episodes on PrE, that are useful, when starting out.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 6:03 AM   in reply to jwoods65

jwoods65

To add on to the comments that Hunt has added, please check out the Premiere Elements 11 Help PDF

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

an often overlooked learning tool asset.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 7:21 AM   in reply to jwoods65

Judy

If any blocks along the way this weekend, do not hesitate to stop to post the question.

We will be watching for your progress. Exploration and experimentation are major assets in the learning process in this regard.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to jwoods65

Judy

You can work on a large project in smaller segments, export the segments to file saved to a hard drive folder. Then when ready for the grand project, import all these segments into the grand project for the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Example..if you are aiming for a NTSC DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 on DVD disc

a. set the project preset for NTSC DV Standard

b. imports will be photos with pixel dimensions not to exceed 1000 width x 750 height pixels (landscape) and 750 width x 1000 height pixels (portrait)

c. import what you need for the first portion of the project and then when finished export it to NTSC DV AVI file via Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets = DV NTSC Standard.

d. import what you need for the second portion of the project and repeat "c".

e. when you have all your DV AVI files saved to your hard drive folder, the import them into a grand project with the NTSC DV Standard project preset, make your final arrangements, add/customize the Move Menu, and then Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with burn to disc. Here you would use Presets = NTSC_Dolby DVD.

Take a look at Photoshop Elements 11 Full Editor, File Menu/Process Multiple Files. Create two folders on the Desktop, one containing copies of the 4:3 photos for batch resizing and one empty. Name them accordingly. In the Process Multiple Files dialog, set the one with the photos as Source and the empty one as Destination. Use the Resize section of the dialog. Suggested settings:

PE11Resizing.JPG

Ignore the right side of the dialog.

Please give that a mini test run to see how it works for you.

If you are thinking about a looping DVD end product. Premiere Elements does not have a looping feature. But I have written about how to use the Premiere Elements burn to folder for this type of project to get that looping DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe-looping-dvd-video-on-dvd-disc.ht ml

That blog post tells you how to using Premiere Elements with IfoEdit or Pcgedit.

Please review the above and then let me know if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Remember, if you use the Premiere Elements 11 Pan and Zoom Tool to create your photo pan and zoom, the after has a much larger duration than the before when it gets back to the Premiere Elements workspace from the Pan and Zoom Tool workspace. This might be a point in favor of pans and zooms with keyframing of the Motion Panel's Scale (zoom)and Position (pan) properties. Either way, we can also go into how to apply the same pan and zoom effect to more than one photo at a time.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to jwoods65

ATR is correct. PrE does not have Sequences, like PrPro does.

There are two possible workflows, that come immediately to mind:

Create the Project, with on long Timeline, then Share + Publish to DVD-Video.

Create multiple Projects, then Share + Publish to, say DV-AVI files, to be combined in a new "master" Project.

The only possible advantage to method 2 would be that the editing will be done in the smaller segments, but with an adequate computer, there should be no need for that. Going back to when computers were much less powerful, the concept of smaller Projects for editing, then combining those for the authoring to DVD-Video, could be helpful - not so much any more.

In the end, whichever way you choose, there WILL be one long Timeline, when you go to Share + Publish to DVD-Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points