Skip navigation
Trent_415
Currently Being Moderated

Need help retrieving serial number, please.

Jul 26, 2013 6:07 AM

I made a thread about this last night but it must have been deleted for some reason?

So I got Adobe Premiere Elements 11 for christmas and had it installed on my student laptop.  When I graduated this last spring I got a new laptop and didn't think anything of it.  Last night I went to install Premiere on my new laptop and upon install it asked for my serial number.  I did not write it down and I do not have my old laptop to retrieve it.  I tired typing in the redemption code on the Adobe site but it just says that the code is invalid (obviously because it has already been redeemed).  I also did not register this product so if I log in to Adobe and go to "My Products" it is not in there.  Can someone please help me out here!  I really need this program to work.  There has got to be a way to retrieve this serial number.  There has got to be a data base someone can look in?  Please help!

Thank you,

-Trent

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to Trent_415

Welcome to the forum.

If your purchased PrE is not shown in your Adobe.com profile, then about the only course of action is to contact Adobe Customer Support (not Technical Support), and explain the situation. I would have a copy of my invoice handy.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to Trent_415

Trent_415

I would agree with Hunt that at this point this has become an Adobe matter.

I have found the following a convenient route to it at many levels. In this route, you get immediate attention and/or direction via its Chat line.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=ac tivating-my-product-or-serial-number-issues

If you click "I still need help" under the header of "Activating my product or Serial Number issues", you should see an Adobe Chat opportunity pop up. The rep can handle the matter or direct you to the correct department for follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to Trent_415

Since you did not register, there is no database anyone may search

In fact, there is NO way that I know of for you to obtain a new serial number

Expensive lesson... always keep file copies of important information

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to Trent_415

Trent,

Can you explain this "redemption code?"

Have you contacted Adobe Customer Support with that redemption code? Was it useful to them, to track down your order?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

>explain this "redemption code?"

When I bought the Education version of CS5 the box came with a specific web link and a code... I went to the link and entered my code... and attached a JPG of a scan of my University ID card... and by the next day I received an email with my serial number

Trent_415

You need to contact Adobe... there is NOTHING another user in this forum will be able to do to help

Adobe contact information - http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Adobe Activation Chat in #4 9-11-09 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/488108

It MAY be possible for someone at Adobe to put you in contact with the Education verification people so you may ask for a serial number replacement based on your coupon code... but since I did not lose my serial number, I don't really know the answer

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to Trent_415

>as long as I have this redemption code I should still be able to link it to my serial number.

Should and actual are not always the same... as you said in your original message

"I tired typing in the redemption code on the Adobe site but it just says that the code is invalid (obviously because it has already been redeemed)"

I will GUESS you are correct... going to the special link will not work a 2nd time... or, at least, did not when you tried that... which would SEEM to be a theft safety lock

If you do get a replacement serial number... be sure to print it and put it in a folder... maybe even put it in a file and copy the file to a backup device

ADDED... speaking of backups... making a full backup of a boot drive to an external USB hard drive is also a good idea

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to Trent_415

So as long as I have this redemption code I should still be able to link it to my serial number.  I just need to get in contact with Adobe themselves.

I am just speculating here, as John T. is, as well, but your experience, regarding the typing in of that Redemption Code, on the supplied Web site, seems to be a "one-time deal." That seems to be borne out by your experience.

Now, it might (speculation again, as I have never had an educational version of any Adobe product) be useful to have that Redemption Code, when talking to Adobe Customer Support (not Technical Support), as they might be able to track backward, and use that to find your S/N. I would try Live Chat first, BUT keep the idea of a direct telephone call, as "Plan B."

Unfortunately, no one here works for Adobe - we are but mere users, and mostly users with a regular PrE license, and not an academic license. When it comes to academic license questions, I always go to John T. Smith, as he was in a university system, and has several academic licenses in his history. He's my "go-to guy" for any academic version questions, 'cause he's "been there - done that." However, and even with his vast knowledge, he is powerless to help you, beyond suggestions. Only Adobe can do that.

Please let us know if Adobe Customer Support (either Live Chat, or via telephone) was able to help you, as you will be educating us all.

Good luck, and please do followup on this thread, as we can all benefit.

Hunt

PS - I will second John T's suggestion of making copies of everything, should there be a problem in the future. For instance, I have my S/N for every version of Photoshop one a label on the media (mine go back to diskettes), on the box (if I still have that) and one the front and also first page of the manual (they used to have nicely printed manuals, back several versions). I could give you my S/N for version 2.5, through CS 6, even though the S/N format changed three times over the decades. Make copies.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to Trent_415

Trent,

Great news - "painless" is good!

So glad that you were able to get your S/N, and thank you for reporting your success.

While some users have not had such great luck with Adobe Customer Support, when I have needed to use them, they have been 100% for me - though last time was some years ago.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to Trent_415

Trent_415

I have always found the Adobe Chat to address the Activation and Serial Numbers matters quickly and professionally.

The route that I cited to Adobe Chat for this type of situation was

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=ac tivating-my-product-or-serial-number-issues

Is that the one that used for the contact? Typically I have been suggesting it as the first choice.

So, I am interested to learn if you found an alternative link that gave you the same successful end result.

Success with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 12:33 PM   in reply to Trent_415

Trent_415 wrote:

This is not an educational version of Premiere Elements.  I got this for Christams as a gift.

>installed on my student laptop

Misunderstanding from your first message... good that things are in order

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points