Skip navigation
jahesscreen
Currently Being Moderated

3D Tracking Retouchment/Replacement

Jul 26, 2013 7:44 AM

Hey guys.

I have footage with an moving camera (threedimensional) and I want to remove something in the shot using AE CS6.

Let`s use the "Blaster Walk" HD-Plate on http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/trackingplates.html as an example trying to remove the windows of the house in the background.

Well, my plan was to do it like that:

1.: Use the 3D-Cameratracker on the footage

2.: create a new camera using "Create Camera" button inside the Cameratracker

3.: chose a frame where the house is as large as possible in the pictureframe

4.: duplicate the footage layer

5.: activate the time freeze and remove the windows using the stamp tool

6.: turn the retouched layer into a 3D-Layer.

I thought the retouched layer would be format-filling on this specifiy frame and it would match up perfectly to the house and the cameramovement.

But it doesn`t.

The retouched layer levitates somwhere in the middle of the cameramovement instead of filling the frame at the position in time where I turned it into 3D.

Any idea on how to archieve what I want to do?

All the best

jahesscreen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to jahesscreen

I actually started to answer this a few days ago. Best way to do this is in Mocha. If you run a Google search "Remove objects in Mocha" first thing that will come up is this tutorial. http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/vfx/simple-clean-plate-object-removal -using-photoshop-and-mocha/

The procedure is to find a suitable frame, export that frame to Photoshop, then clone out the offending item, then set up your tracking and masking in Mocha.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to jahesscreen

Let`s say you have a steadicam shot in the forest... and you have to retouch each tree.

With an 3D Track you could just set one null per tree, pin the duplicated layer to it, make it fullframe ->BÄM.

I'm not sure you're understanding AE's 3D camera tracker or my explanation of how to replace the windows in the house in the shots you pointed us to. Right in their website you find this language in the first example:

"All these plates are A LOT easier to track with Planar Tracking — which is currently dominated by Imagineer Systems. See if you have the Mocha plug-in — it comes with some Adobe packages."

For retouching surfaces planar tracking is far easier in every case I have ever seen. Camera tracking is for replicating camera movement and placing 3D objects in a scene. In some cases may work to replace windows, the windows are planes and a planar tracker is going to do fewer calculations and give you more precise results with less effort. Just pinning a duplicated layer to a null from a 3D camera track isn't necessarily the right workflow because the nulls nulls don't move, the camera does.

There are other sample shots in the site that are designed for object tracking and 3D replacement. This is different than 3D camera tracking and requires a different approach to the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to jahesscreen

Do your 3D camera tracking. Pick a target for the plane you want to use. Size the target. With the target selected create a solid and a camera. Replace the solid with your graphic. Done...

If you use a null instead of a solid then just copy and paste the position, rotation and orientation information and then scale to match. The 3D layer should not have any keyframes and it should not move. If the track is good it will match up perfectly. If it doesn't, try some other tracking points. Try solving for the camera with different parameters. Be aware that there are many shots that are not suitable for 3D camera tracking and AE's camera tracker will not be able to solve for the 3D camera.

Take a look at this quick, I mean very quick tutorial:

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points