Skip navigation
Gunnar-Uetersen
Currently Being Moderated

Problem after Windows 7 update 18. July 2013

Jul 26, 2013 11:24 AM

When trying to open a new project or to open any existing project Premiere Elements 9 starts to load files but stops after some 20 seconds without error message.

Is there a way to solve this problem without uninstalling the recent updates?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Gunnar-Uetersen

Gunnar-Uetersen

The only problem Windows Update kb that we are aware of relates to the 1/2 wmv display recent Windows Update kb. This matter is highlighted in the Announcement at the top of the forum. For your convenience, it should look like

announcement.JPG

If you have done that already, then the quickest action might probably be to uninstall the recent updates that came immediately before the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 problems set in. The Windows Updates may have nothing to do with this problem, but quick if it works and good to rule it out if it is not involved.

Have you been moving around source media for your projects after the projects have been saved closed?

Also, depending on how things go, you may want to check out the Adobe Tech document on damaged projects...

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-proje cts-premiere-elements.html

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Gunnar-Uetersen

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a System Restore Point, from before the updates? That would be my first action.

If not, you should be able to roll-back the updates - though some do not allow for that action - it just depends on the updates.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to Gunnar-Uetersen

Gunnar-Uetersen

Although Hunt's first choice is indicated as System Restore Point before the updates, I typically leave that as the last resort. I am not a fan of System Restore.

Typically it has not resolved by issues, has created others, and eats of hard drive space in the process.

But, when it must be used, it must be used.

Just some thoughts.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Now I have never had any issues with System Restore Points, and always create new one, prior to any program installations, or major updates, and especially to the OS.

They have saved many users a lot of grief, and sometimes even wipes with complete OS installations, along with the program installations that requires.

As for HDD space, that has never been an issue for me, at least not since OS's allowed larger than 1GB HDD's, and MoBo's added multiple HDD controllers.

While not my usual first step in troubleshooting, as I create Restore Points constantly, I have those to fall back onto, should I need to go there.

Only issues that I have ever read of, were when particular OS versions did not Restore properly, but other than a few moments and a reboot, nothing is lost, as Windows will tell you if it was successful, or not. I find that booting to Safe Mode always works for my computers, and even has the added advantage of having a clickable System Restore in the Safe Mode start screen.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to Gunnar-Uetersen

Gunnar-Uetersen

Just trying to think ahead in case Windows Updates as the cause of the problem does not turn out to be the case.

I forgot to ask you before, when you wrote

When trying to open a new project or to open any existing project Premiere Elements 9 starts to load files but stops after some 20 seconds without error message.

"When loading the files, what is the name of process that is it stopping on?"

Also, if we rule out the Windows Updates as the cause of the Premiere Elements issue that you report, besides other things, you might want to disable the antivirus to see if that impacts the issue.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points