Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Time code is 00:00:00;00 on all imported XDCAM EX clips

Jul 26, 2013 3:59 PM

Tags: #timecode #xdcam_ex

I shoot with a Sony EX-3.  I use Sony Clip Browser 2.00.01 to offload the camera media from SxS cards to RAID 1 storage.  When I import the BPAV folders from the storage drives into Premiere Pro CC, all of the clips appear in the project window with timecode of 00:00:00;00 instead of the original camera recorded timecode.  The correct camera timecode appears in .mov files when I use XDCAM transfer (which I had to do in my FCP days) and Premier displays the correct timecode when I import those .mov files.  I use Proxymill to make screeners directly from the BPAV files for writers and clients on the project and the original timecode appears without problem.  But I can't use their timcode notes because they are woking with original timecode on the proxies while Premiere shows 00:00:00;00 for every clip. I've set the Preferences > Media > Timecode to "Use Media Source".  Since Premiere works with natively with XDCAM EX files I'm trying to avoid  the extra step of transfering all of the camera media to .mov files and then having to store both as I did in my FCP days.  Sure would like to streamline the workflow.  Am I doing something wrong?  

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to 381968

I use Sony Clip Browser

Try skipping that.  Just use Finder to copy the entire card to the hard drive.  And be sure to use Media Browser for importing those clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 10:00 PM   in reply to 381968

I've not seen this, but download XDCAM Browser (which replaced Clip Browser) and see if that solves it.  However, it sounds more like a Premiere problem than the transfer software, imho.  I'm on a PC so not much help.

There is also Content Browser but it requires an authorization code.  Prior to June 1 (or maybe it was May 1) you could get a free code via email to activate the software.  I missed the deadline by 2 days. Now, you must pay for it or buy a new Sony camera to get it.  Legacy users are SOL.

BTW, I would never recommend using Finder to transfer XDCAM files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to streamthis

The standard file manager is usually the best way of handling files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Not with XDCAM.  I use one on a regular basis.  How about you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to streamthis

Why not with XDCAM?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Because it performs a CRC check after copying to insure data integrity.  Plus, Sony recommends its use.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 1:15 AM   in reply to 381968

I think Sony EX files are Mpeg2 in a MP4 wrapper. I use both and EX1r and a PMW 320 and I always use the Sony software for file copying. I'm on a PC in PAL land and all my timecodes are fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 4:49 AM   in reply to Richard M Knight

There is this option in the Preferences under Media:

Timecode: use Media Source or start at 00.00.00.00

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status