Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Announcement: New Tutorial On Using x264 With Encore

Jul 26, 2013 5:20 PM

I've just uploaded a new tutorial to my web site that demonstrates how to use the open-source H.264 encoding tool, x264, to encode files that Encore will import without transcoding.

If you're interested, the tutorial is here:

Bellune Digital Video Services - Tutorials - Adobe Encore – Using x264 To Encode Video For Blu-ray Disc Authoring

Enjoy!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Excellent! I suspect this will be even more welcome for users who previously used dynamic link and/or automatic transcoding.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 7:13 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Can't wait to watch it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Excellent tutorial.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Hello

thank you for your video

I had a question on the fake interlaced setting you speak about

I do have a footage at 1920x1080, 59,97progressive and I was wondering if this little checkbox should be ticked or not. You say in your video that 60p footage does not need it, but at 1920x1080, 60p is not allowed in BluRays, so should I check it ? is it a little mistake, or once again I did not understand a thing ?

Thanks !

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Sorry just got another question, using your settings, I find that uncontrary to h264 export in pp, the footage from your tuto is with more details; closer to the original footage which is great except one thing, the colors. The skin of the human looks more "yellow".

any idea on what my trigger this ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Well it's not working It's considered as untranscoded. There are no project settings allowing this anyway, so my question was a bit useless in the end

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Regarding my color issue : I thought it was a color space mismatch too, but couldn't find any clear info that could guide me on where to fix the issue

Original Footage Media Info:

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

(nothing else regarding colors)

h264 from PP Media Info (lesser quality than x264):

Color primaries                          : BT.709

Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709

Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

x264 from your tutorial Media info (better quality than h264 with same bitrate ):

Color primaries                          : BT.709

Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709

Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

There's no difference between x264 export vs h264 pp export, so I don't understand where this slight "yellow" tone is coming from. It's a very slight difference, but still now that I see it, it strikes me at each image to image comparison. the h264 has more compression artifacts but the colors remains identical to the original footage...

EDIT : Thanks for the tuto once again, it remains helpful, but if we manage to sort out this color issue, it would be awesome

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 4:57 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I am using the same player for comparing the image on the 3 footage.

Media Player Classic Pro. Therefore I don't think Pr is altering the color palette in anyway.

I will try to post 3 images to let you see the issue. As I say, it's quite subtle, but still present, in various footage i take (from 2 different sony camera recorder : one shooting at 25i and one recording at 59,97p 1920x1080)

In both case, with Pr, exporting in h264 result in a average image quality, same color for human skin vs source footage, and in both case, exporting with meGui in x264 resultat in a higher image quality (regarding artifacts) but more yellow tone for human skin, compared to source footage.

I am really puzzled here

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 6:57 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Sorry to ask but where is this advanced frameserver settings supposed to be ? in MeGUI ? in Avisynth script editor pannel ? or back in premiere pro ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your support, i made some attempts in YUY2 : nothing changed. In UYVV, Avisynth throw an error and refuse the AVI file from advanced frameserver.

I subscribed to x264 pro trial plugin, the export is close to perfection, with nice rendering quality, same color as original footage, and less artifacts than with h264 pp export. but the price of the plugin is a dealbreaker to me, i do this for my own pleasure, not as a business...

So I wonder what's wrong with my MeGUI settings to get such a "yellowish" color

This is my settings in MeGui x264 config

program --level 4.1 --bluray-compat --tune film --pass 2 --bitrate 20000 --stats ".stats" --keyint 25 --open-gop --b-adapt 2 --ref 4 --slices 4 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --tff --colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --sar 1:1 --output "output" "input"

do you see something wrong eventually in this command line ?

Thanks !

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

I'll make a try, less familiar with all that stuff, but i'll keep digging !

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Hi Jeff

I took some time today to try with Vdub and see if my problem were solved, but unfortunately, with Lagarith in Vdub, in all possible modes : RGB, YUY2, YV12, I do have the same "little bit more yello tone" issue.

I tried to uninstall all faulty codecs, reinstall Avisynth, made a fresh export, same issue

Really no clue on where to find the root cause. if Vdub in Lagarith and MeGUI in x264 export with that yellow issue, I assume Avisynth or Frameserver is the causing the problem, i tried another debug frameserver, but it crashes at each export...

So i am kinda stuck

EDIT :

I spent the whole day looking for a solution but i did not. I am sharing my progress here in case it can help someone or lead someone to find my issue

I tried lots of soft : megui, virtualdub, Avidemux, always the little bit more yellow tone on human especially

I tried both advanced frameserver & debug frame server, same issue too

I also tried to open the avi streamed file on various software, same issue too

this leads me to the conclusion that something goes wrong between premiere & frameserver. not after.

Looking at the page : http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/usage.htm ; we can read a little note regarding YUV video with premiere pro & frame server

I don't know much about color space and such but this part : "implicit conversion from AYUV that Premiere Pro gives, and the YUY2 that the frameserver actually serves" ; makes me wonder if this is not the root cause of my issue

Therefore...

is there anything I can do ? or am I stuck for good ?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)