Skip navigation
kari66
Currently Being Moderated

How to reduce file size?

Jul 27, 2013 9:42 AM

I have a file that is almost 250,000 KB. I need to reduce it to send to others. I heard there was a menu bar on Adobe that allows you to reduce file size, but my task bar does not include this option. Please help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to kari66

It's in Acrobat, not in the free Adobe Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 7:33 PM   in reply to kari66

Sending documents by email is never a good idea; documents can get damaged, lost, or misdirected during transmission, not to mention the size limit that is your current problem.

Far better is to use a file sharing service like Acrobat.com, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc., then send the download link by email.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to kari66

You can use Paint to resize file. It's so simple.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to kimminh

How would I do that with Paint?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

Open Paint, Image - Stretch and Skew - resize both Horizontal and Vertical (e.g 50%) and save your image.

That's all. It's simple.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to kimminh

It would be except... does your copy of Paint really open PDF files?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 6:08 PM   in reply to kimminh

kimminh wrote:

Open Paint, Image - Stretch and Skew - resize both Horizontal and Vertical (e.g 50%) and save your image.

We are talking about PDF documents here, not images.

We are talking about files sizes here, not image dimensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 1:07 AM   in reply to kari66

There is a feature in Adobe Acrbat that can reduce PDF file size, not in Adobe Reader. I don't understand why you people forget that Adobe Reader is only a reader, it only allows you to read or view the PDF files. It never allows you to perform any type of modifications and reducing file size is also included in this. If you want to reduce the size of your PDF file, then you must have Adobe Acrobat Pro (not demo or trial version).

Follow the steps shown below:

1. Open your Adobe Acrobat Pro.
    2. Now click on File tab > Open or press Ctrl+O to open the file that you want to reduce.
    3. Once the file is opened, again click on File tab > point to Save as Other > and click on Reduced Size PDF.
    4. Choose your preferred Adobe Reader version compatibility from the list of compatibility options.
    5. Now click on OK.

And you can also use this feature of Adobe Acrobat: PDF Optimizer.

1. Open your Adobe Acrobat Pro.
    2. Now click on File tab > Open or press Ctrl+O to open the file that you want to reduce.
    3. Once the file is opened, again click on File tab > point to Save as Other > and click on Optimized PDF.
    4. The PDF Optimizer window will appear. Adjust your settings according to requirement.
    5. Now click on OK.

Hope this would be helpful.

Regards.

Message was edited by: Natty_Sm

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Natty_Sm

I don't understand why you people forget that Adobe Reader is only a reader, it only allows you to read or view the PDF files.

It doesn't look like we've forgotten that at all. In fact, it's in the first post of this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 9:39 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

Dear ~graffiti, the statement "I don't understand why you people forget that Adobe Reader is only a reader, it only allows you to read or view the PDF files" stated by me was only for kari66, the original poster of this thread.

Regards.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points