Skip navigation
not2bad4now
Currently Being Moderated

What changes are required if any when using compatible ink

Jul 28, 2013 1:08 AM

Tags: #color #ink #balance #cartridges #calibtation

Hi All,

I am new here so please be gentle.

I use Photoshop frequently to work on photographs that I print for others.  Recently I changed the ink I use from the genuine type to the compatible type of ink cartridges.  I now purchase ink cartridges from a company called Dealo at http://dealo.com.au

The problem is that there is a slight difference between the color balance of printed photos between the genuine and the ones from Dealo.  Unless you place the two side by side for comparison you probably wouldn't notice but here is my dilemma.  Most of the clients I produce photos for are repeat clients, which means they can do side by side comparisons.

So the question I ask is this.  Is there any calibration option in Photoshop that would allow me to automatically fix the slight difference?  Or will I need to manually correct by trial and error until I find a solution?

If anyone can help me I would be grateful as this is about to become a real headache for me.

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2013 1:56 AM   in reply to not2bad4now

PS doesn't know anything about the specific physical and chemical properties of different inks like pigment density, viscosity etc. that would determine the actual print appearance, so there can be no automatic compensation. That's what colro profiles are for - or, as you already figured, you have to create your own manual adjustments.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 6:01 PM   in reply to not2bad4now

I would also be concerned with color-fastness of off-brand inks. Are they fade resistant over time like many name-brand inks are now? What archival longevity specs does Dealo provide with the paper you are using? Does Dealo provide profiles for thier product specific to your printer and the paper you are using. What about metameric issues? - where certain colors can visually change depending on the spectra of the  light source they are viewed under.

I agree name brand inks are astronomically overpriced. But for work I sell to clients, there are many important considerations besides the cost of the ink.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 8:42 PM   in reply to not2bad4now

The main thing you have to change with generic inks is your expectation of quality and consistency over time.

You could have a custom profile made for your specific combination of printer/paper/ink, but there's no guarantee the custom profile will work with the next batch of inks you use.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points