Skip navigation
barbkavs
Currently Being Moderated

Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues

Jul 28, 2013 7:54 AM

Tags: #and #photos #9 #versions #elements #10 #in #consolidate

My computer memory is full, and I have both Elements 9 and 10 on it.  I need to consolidate photos in one version, and then delete the other version- presumably Elements 9.  Can anyone walk me thru how to do this?  any help greatly appreciated!

Barb K.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to barbkavs

barbkavs wrote:

My computer memory is full, and I have both Elements 9 and 10 on it.  I need to consolidate photos in one version, and then delete the other version- presumably Elements 9.  Can anyone walk me thru how to do this?  any help greatly appreciated!

Barb K.

Can you tell us more about how you are using both versions ? I suppose you are using the organizer. Do you have a single or several catalogs in each version ? How big are your catalogs ? Do they share the same picture files, at least partly ? Can you use an external USB drive to help the consolidation process ?

There is no simple and automatic way to merge catalogs, but you can convert a catalog from an old version to a new one and keep only the recent PSE version. Your answers will help us find a suitable workflow for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 12:43 PM   in reply to barbkavs

The vast majority of images are in a "pictures" folder, with subcategories generally (but not always) by year.  within each year are then subcategorized by date, each time I download from the camera I open a new "date" subfolder with a bit of suffix description.

Does this imply that you are not using the PSE Organizer to apply keywords or add captions or notes to your photos?

If it is correct, combining the catalogs would be simple. Please let us know.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to barbkavs

Oh, in that case there's no easy way to merge catalogs.

Best you can do is select one catalog, select all photos, then File->Write tags ... and wait for that to finish.

Then open the other catalog and import those photos.

If you do this, you will lose collections, stacks, version sets and a few other things that I don't remember right now

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 4:28 PM   in reply to barbkavs

There is no way to check to see if you have all the photos, other than to check to see if you have all the photos. PSE won't do it for you.

Once you are sure you have everything in the PSE10 catalog, you can delete the old one, or just move it to a CD/DVD or external HD as a precaution/backup.

If you should ever get a new version of PSE in the future, you don't want to go to separate catalogs, you want to upgrade your current catalog to the new version of PSE, maintaining only one catalog in use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 5:59 PM   in reply to barbkavs

You shouldn't lose any images

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers