Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

.avi files loses audio

Jul 28, 2013 12:34 PM

Hello

I have downloaded a VHS (C) tape onto my Win 7 desktop and saved it as an .avi file for editing in Elements 11. I saved it to the desktop and when I double-click on it it plays fine - video and audio.

However, when I open up Elements and Add Media, and drag it to the Timeline, the audio part of the movie is not there and there is no sound, obviously.

What am I doing wrong, please?

Steve

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve,

An AVI file can have many dozens of CODEC's inside, and not all play nice with PrE.

What are the full specs. of this AVI file please? The solution probably lies within those specs.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to SteveH59

What kind of device did you use to convert your tape to a digital AVI file?

And, as Hunt asked, what are the file details?

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to SteveH59

SteveH59

What type of .avi file did you save to? AVI is just the file extension which can come with any number of different video and audio codecs.

What did you select as the Premiere Elements 11 project preset for this project?

Would it be possible for you to post a MediaInfo screenshot of this.avi file that you are importing into Premiere Elements 11 Windows and for which you are not getting an audio portion?

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Please verify..when the file is on the Premiere Elements Timeline is there anything represented on audio 1 track for the file? If there is, does it show a waveform when you toggle the Audio Display Style icon to the left of the name Audio 1?

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Hunt and John T. Smith, I did not your posts before I submitted mine. Typed too slow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to SteveH59

>software that I used to import the VHS tape through allowed me to save the file in .avi format

That is about like saying you went to the grocery store and bought a loaf of bread... without saying what kind of bread (bleached white, whole wheat, oat... etc)

In this case, playing an AVI file is not at all the same as editing that file... to help with editing, we need to know the details

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to SteveH59

MJPEG http://forums.adobe.com/thread/730396

Unless I missed you, you didn't say what software you used... so I've added these

- problems with Samsung codec http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699493

- and Fuji http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015922

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to SteveH59

SteveH59

It would appear that you have MotionJPEG video compression and MP2 audio compression wrapped with that .avi file extension.  In spite of its VHS origins, the frame size appears to be 1280 x 720.

MotionJPEG can be a problematic video codec for some, but you present an audio not a video issue. I am not quite sure how you arrived at the export choices for your ShowBiz from ArcSoft. Before some things not to be taken for granted...

a. Open Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit, go to File Menu/New/Project and change the project preset to

NTSC

HDV

HDV 720p30

Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting On This Project" before exiting the new project dialog.

b. Then Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets and drag your MotionJPEG.avi to the Expert view Timeline.

c. Does the audio file appear in Audio 1 and do you have sound for it?

If that does not work, then I see two avenues...

a. Go back to ShowBiz from ArcSoft and select another export type. What does it offer?

or

b. Take the MotionJPEG.avi into Windows Live Movie Maker and see if you can convert it into a .wmv file that is compatible with Premiere Elements. If you can get it into Windows Live Movie Maker without crashing the program, then we can discuss the details for its export from there.

Those are my thoughts for now. I am not eager to go with MotionJPEG video codec issue. I would rather explore the MP2 side of things...thinking in the direction of mp3 or wav. But if we go the conversion route for the file, the audio as well as the video compression often gets changed in the process.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to SteveH59

SteveH59

Thanks for the update. Sorry adjusting the project preset had no impact.

How did you come up with the frame size for what you have now, that is, 1280 x 720 16:9? Does that frame size with the MotionJPEG video codec present well in Video 1? Just curious. With the VHS origin, I might have thought that the original was something like 720 x 480 4:3.

We will be looking forward to your results. If you want to discuss the choices (audio and video and file extension) that you have for conversion, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 3:45 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I agree with you on this:

How did you come up with the frame size for what you have now, that is, 1280 x 720 16:9? Does that frame size with the MotionJPEG video codec present well in Video 1? Just curious. With the VHS origin, I might have thought that the original was something like 720 x 480 4:3.

Also, MPEG Audio can be problematic w/ Adobe software, including Premiere (Elements & Pro), After Effects and Photoshop (Extended, or Ps CS 6.

@ Steve,

If possible, can you capture to PCM/WAV Audio in the ArcSoft program? If so, choose 48KHz 16-bit, and that should work fine in PrE.

Also, see ATR's comment on the Frame Size, quoted above. There is nothing to be gained by doing the capture to a higher resolution, than the original, and much to be lost, regarding quality.

I do not know the ArcSoft program, but if it allows you to capture to DV-AVI (a particular type of AVI file, with the DV/DVC CODEC) w/ the above PCM/WAV Audio specs., you will have a file that PrE can Import and edit very well. I would try to stay away from MJPEG, and MPEG Audio, if at all possible.

Good luck, and thank you for the information.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 5:18 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve

Thanks.

I thought that you had written that the video was of VHS origin, and my thought went to SD 4:3.

What is the format of the footage that you got from the Samsung and later used the ArcSoft to get your MotionJPEG.avi with the MP2 audio which is characterized by 1280 x 720 16:9 at 29.97 progressive frames per second?

Am looking forward to your results with the focus on the audio.

Thanks for following up on the troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 6:23 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Initially, the original source was identified as VHS-C, hence 720 x 480 4:3.

I have downloaded a VHS (C) tape

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 7:55 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

I saw that also. That is why I ask Steve about this point.

Although this presents as an audio, not video, issue, I like to have all the pieces fall into place.

But, I am sure that Steve will get back to us with more details as well as with the results his video/audio conversion troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Is it a recently acquired digitizer? There have been so many questions about Arcsoft Showbiz recently I'm guessing they've recently licensed their software to the digitizer manufacturers.

The only manual I can find online for the product is for version 2 (current version is v5). But in the v2 manual the following shows as the export dialog:

1.jpg

If your version has a similar export dialog, try the 'DV' setting. That is ideal for PRE standard definition sources.

[EDIT]

Have found this screenshot from v5. I'd be interested to see what the dropdown options are in the '480P' section for Format and the Encoders:

1.jpg

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to SteveH59

That's helpful. Let's explore the options available under 'Manufacturer' and 'Format'. Can you post a list of what you have available.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve,

Thanks for the follow up details.

Could you post the MediaInfo properties readout for the MOV format. That should give us important information on which to base details moving forward. If the starting material was VHS, that would be 720 x 480 4:3. So, it is important to know how those original properties were changed along the way. I would think that you would be best served with NTSC DV Standard.

But you made a major advance getting a format that will give you a video and audio component of the file that you can deal with in Premiere Elements 11. Hopefully a bit of fine tuning may solve the issues.

Do you have any other equipment to digitalize your VHS tape material if it comes to that?

More later.

ATR

Add On...

I just saw your response to Nealeh. Were those the settings that you used for the mov file that had video and audio? If so, the frame size alone would explain the low quality video. I will be watching as we all explore your VHS to digital export settings. Very curious as to what options there are for each of the fields in that screenshot.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to SteveH59

SteveH59

That looks like good news, and the 320 x 240 pixels well explains the lesser quality video for this export. I am reading those properties as saying the you worked from the AVCHD video codec and PCM format 2 channel audio all of which had the .mov wrapper.

If you are still working with the present equipment, let us explore all the settings available.

With the VHS 4:3 origin, I would think that you want to aim for frame size

720 x 576 (non square pixels) or its square pixel counterpart of 768 x 576 pixels

in your PAL setup.

But let us see what is available in those fields in your current software's export settings.

That is my current view of your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve,

That would be great...similar to how you posted the MediaInfo in your post #9?

What I usually do is use the Snipping Tool of Windows 7 64 bit to make a jpg file of the MediaInfo tree properties readout. Then I post that jpg using the post's camera looking icon (Insert Image). If I cannot get all in one jpg, then I will go for two.

Do you see improved quality in this latest Standard quality .mov file?

Thanks. We will be watching for the information.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 4:50 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve

Looking good.

Major comments. A while back you mentioned about having a PAL setup. The settings that you give for this file are for NTSC setup.

In the NTSC setup, 720 x 480 is the non square pixel version of the square pixel 640 x 480.

In contrast, the PAL setup, 720 x 576 is the non square pixel version of the square pixel 768 x 576.

With the audio, do you have an option to export at the Sampling Rate of 48 kHz (48000 Hz)?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Some cameras have the options to either shoot NTSC, or PAL. This is usually via the camera's menu settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 7:44 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve

If you can get PAL footage for your .mov fine. If not, and you are left with the NTSC counterpart, here is the plan (grand plan or dud). Let us see

Import your 640 x 480 @ 30 frames per second into Premiere Elements with the NTSC DV Standard project preset (you will probably have to set the project preset yourself manually before you import the file...to do that File Menu/New/Project, change the project preset to NTSC DV Standard, and, before exiting the new project dialog, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then import your file with Add Media/Project Assets.

In Project Assets, right click the thumbnail for the file there and select Interpret Footage. In the Frame Rate section of the Interpret Footage dialog, dot "Assume this frame rate" and fill in 25.00. Leave the rest as is which should be with Pixel Aspect Ratio = Square Pixels (1.0).

When you are ready to export, give the following a try:

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

have Presets = PAL DV

under the Advanced Button/Video Tab set

Video Codec = H.264

Frame Width = 768 pixels

Frame Height = 576 pixels

Frame Rate = 25 frames per second

Field Type = Progressive

Aspect = Square Pixels (1.0)

For now leave everything else as is.

At playback, check the quality of the video and audio as well as flow of the motion.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve,

As far as I have been able to put this PAL vs NTSC business together, these are some of my keys

(depends on whether you talking talking disc or file for computer playback)

a. Disc-wise, NTSC and PAL do not have significance for HD as they do for SD. Yet for HD the frame rates of 29.97/30 (NTSC) and 25 (PAL) still have regional signficance.

b. PAL DVD players will play PAL and NTSC DVD; whereas NTSC players will play only NTSC.

c. It does not seem to matter if PAL or NTSC for computer playback of a file. All the computer players that I have used, play either. It is my understanding that you can play a PAL or NTSC disc with a computer player. The issue often presents when you attempt to play those discs on a non computer player.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 5:36 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve

Sounds like a good plan.

But still take it as a mini test road until your workflow has proven itself, picking up momentum with each success.

We will be watching for further developments when you have time.

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting and returning will great follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points