Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Shortcuts for Batch and Image Processor in Bridge CS6

Jul 28, 2013 1:30 PM

Tags: #photoshop #bridge #batch #shortcut #image_processor

I use Batch and Image Processor all the time, and I'd like to use a shortcut.

Can you tell me if there is a shortcut or how I can program one?

I set up shortcuts for those two commands in Photoshop, but they don't work in Bridge.

I remember from the time I started with Photoshop and had Deke McClelland's book with his set of shortcuts. There was a shortcut that worked with image processor, but it was just a set you did install and no explanation. When I moved to a different computer and a newer version of Photoshop, these keys got lost.

Is there any way to automate Batch and Image Processor?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to Pacific 29

There is no build your own shortcut option in Bridge, although a frequently requested feature.

Your best chance of what you want, especially the automate feature, is to go the to Bridge Scripting forum and see what they can offer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 29, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Curt Y

While agreed on the lack of editable shortcuts like you can in PS itself I have to say it is a bit funny wanting to automate a function that is designed for use of automate...

But it would already be a bit better if the tools menu was reachable under right mouse menu so we didn't need to switch to the menu bar so often while the mouse is already pointed to the selected files you want to to use in automate batch.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 29, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to Pacific 29

It was so many years ago, I can't really recall.

In PS go to menu Edit / Keyboard shortcuts.

This opens a window and provides you with options to set everything you like it to be. So in case of Batch go to menu Applications menus and search for: File / Automate / Batch

Select it and you are able to add a shortcut.

In my case I chose Ctrl + Cmd + B which I believe was free and an easy reachable combination

The image processor is one section down under scripts.

However, be aware that the problem with PS shortcuts is that they are almost all used already for various commands.

If it is used you can chose to replace it and go to the conflict menu and find an other for this or not and leave the other blank.

As said, you can change them all at will. But be aware that this is not always useful, e.g. if you work on another station you won't be able to use them unless you have saved and exported them first and then imported your own on the new station.

And many own custom shortcuts may also be confusing when need to explain to others or share tips etc.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 29, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to Pacific 29

But you have to be in Photoshop to use them. There is no connection to Bridge for it.

Sorry, I thought you meant the shortcuts for PS being forgotten, to my knowledge shortcuts for Bridge never have been able for Batch and other functions in tools menu.

So if Deke had it working it should have been a script

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2013 8:56 PM   in reply to Pacific 29

Something like this might work if your on a mac:

http://vimeo.com/45998659

(Keyboard shortcut for Mac. File, Place, In Photoshop using Bridge)

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 30, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to Pacific 29

R_Kelly, I tried it, but it does not work. Neither Batch nor Image Processor can be operated by using a shortcut through the Apple OS X keyboard shortcut preferences.

On MacOs 10.8.4 I got it to work for Batch, have not tried Image Processor (no need for since I have custom made save and resize actions in PS and always use Batch)

You have to find a unique shortcut not used by others (in my case OptioncmdB worked). Be sure to select the application icon for Bridge (I tried it in CC but it should work in CS6 also and previous MacOS versions should not be a problem either) by browsing to it via the main app folder and be sure to add the three dots after Batch(…)

Now I have to learn and accept the shortcut use after all those years using pen tool for menu selection…

And yes, the customizable short cut option for Bridge should have been realized a long time ago, together with a lot of other most wanted features

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 30, 2013 3:54 PM   in reply to Pacific 29

Can you check if menu Tools / Photoshop / batch...  works for you?

here is a screenshot of the commandline in my Sys prefs:

Batch shortcut Bridge.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 31, 2013 1:53 AM   in reply to Pacific 29
    There is no way to economically batch process in Bridge without having to go thorough sub-menus.

I'm sorry you can't get it to work, but on my system it works flawless.

Testing a bit more it seems you don't need to use a unique shortcut at all. I also tried to use the shortcut for Batch I created in PS itself to get the Batch window to front for running actions on open files. For me that is [control + Cmd + B] but feel free to find an other one.

When I discovered you don't need the unique shortcut at all I used the same shortcut for Bridge CC. . Also created [Control + Cmd + i] for the Image processor.

Both started without problems.

To extend I also created both same shortcuts for Bridge CS6. This also was working correctly, off course, having only PS CC open using the shortcut in Bridge CS6 it auto started PS CS6.

So can you specify a bit more about what OS you are using on what computer (I have OSX 10.8.4 on a MacPro 2012)

Some screenshots to show the shortcuts in System prefs and how the show in the Bridge Submenus:

Batch shortcut Bridge-2.jpg

Batch shortcut Bridge-3.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 31, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to Pacific 29

Maybe there is a problem with my Photoshop/Bridge CS6 software - and now it affects the shortcuts? Is there a module that sits in the center of both of them?

To me the screenshot shows you did not enter the correct command name.

Yours show "Batch" while it really should show "Batch…"

You have to copy the exact name appearing in the menu, so including the three dots and capitals.

Also your other problem seem to indicate you could do with a reset of the preferences of both PS and Bridge to set them back to factory default. This is up to you but not all that much work to set your custom wishes again. It usually takes me not more then 5 minutes.

Also maintenance software like Cocktail (can be set to run on a daily schedule automatically) might be of help to you. But start with prefs and use Apple Disk Utility to check and repair permissions and go from there to find other problems if they keep existing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 1, 2013 2:40 AM   in reply to Pacific 29

Sometimes it is as if software has its own life... artificial intelligence... the ghost in the machine...

To be honest, I do like to think so many times but I'm afraid the ghost in my machine was never found. Instead of this non existing ghost in my office facts pointed to another cause, widely known as PEBCAC

You may have to Google that one…

Glad it worked for you and after all I now have also a working shortcut which I would never have tried without this thread

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points