Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Images Cut off in Premier Elements project

Jul 28, 2013 4:46 PM

When I import a slide show into a Premier Elements project the images are cut off with only the bottom half of the images appearing.  Can anyone give me some guidance on this issue?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2013 4:59 PM   in reply to johner3

johner3

Are you importing the slideshow as a wmv file rather than using the Edit with Premiere Elements Editor Output option in the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor?

Lots of information needed but I may have the answer in spite of all the questions.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Is your slideshow coming from Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor? If so, how are you outputting it

a. Save to File Movie (wmv)

b. Burn to Disc

c. Edit with Premiere Elements Editor

There has been an epidemic of 1/2 wmv displays associated with a recent Windows Update kb. This may be at the core of your issue. Please see the Announcement at the top of this forum. For your convenience, it should look like:

Announcement: Windows Update Causes Display to Be Blacked Out

MicroSoft has issued an Update for Windows, that is causing problems with Displays. The following is from Talbot McInnis, who tracked down this problem, and offers a fix:

"MS bulliten MS13-057.  Specifically, on XP kb2834904 and on windows 7 kb2803821 is causing a problem

For us, it occurs when decoding WMV9 files.  Not all uses of WMV decoding are affected, but I confirmed that when connecting the WMV decode DLL to a sample grabber for RGB32 video, the frames arrive black on top, so that points directly to decoding internals of the WMV Decode dll.

You can uninstall these windows updates to resolve your problem."

There are several threads on the problem that this Update is causing on the PrE and PrPro Forums, so one can get more details. So far, there is not another fix from either MS, or Adobe.

Also, see this Adobe KB Article: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/wmv-files-corrupted-import-or.h tml

by Bill Hunt (Jul 12, 2013)

Please check out the Announcement details and delete the appropriate Windows Update kb if this applies to you.

There have been many, many threads on the topic, all with helpful advice which includes

a. for now, have the Windows Updates require your notification and approval for any downloading and installing of Windows Updates

and

b. if you catch the offending Windows Update kb in the Windows Updates Important Updates, right click it and select Hide. That is supposed to keep it away.

Please view and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 6:17 PM   in reply to johner3

John C. Ericson

Thanks for the follow up.

Great news.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 6:20 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Wow, that Windows Update keeps on giving!

I have campaigned for Announcements to be "flashing neon red," as most forum users never see them.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 8:02 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

To expedite matters when I respond to this type of post, I am doing a copy/paste of the Announcement in the thread of the ID posting the inquiry.

I suspect that the Windows Updates Announcement is easy to miss with those 1, 2, 3 options, and, the Windows Update kb matter not being highlighted at the time when the ID views that area.

How do we keep the Windows Updates on 1 of the 1, 2, 3 so that it stays on?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 9:09 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt & ATR

Have you heard if Adobe is working with MS regarding a fix for the update(s)?  Its been  a few weeks and nary a word regarding an update correction.  Without an 'official' push from Adobe I don't think a defective patch such as this is going to be very high on the MS list of things to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to oldevhs

MS has been informed, and are working on a "fix" for the issue, but I have not heard if one has been offered yet.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 9:37 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

The Announcements are what they are. They do cycle, but I have tried to remove those, that no longer apply, such as one for PrE 9.

Your method is about as good, as it gets.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt & ATR & anyone else interested in the 'fix'

Within the hour I received an e-mail notice from MS regarding the AUGUST batch of updates.  Included in the notice was a RE-release of the update (MS Security Bulletin MS13-057) that caused all of the grief last month.  The re-release can be found at:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-057

It should be noted that if you had previously 'Hidden' the original update so that it would not get installed; you will find that the MS process will automatically 'un-hide' the update and present the NEW update.  IMPORTANT, if one allows automatic downloading and installation of MS updates the new one will be installed --just as the old one was.  To prevent this from happening without your knowledge it is important to make sure that settings for updates utilize the third (3rd) option in the drop-down list to prevent unexpected actions.

"Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"   (3rd choice in the dropdown list)

The revised MS update can be identified by scrolling to the bottom to the section named "REVISIONS".

The new version will be identified by the notation:

• V2.0 (August 13, 2013): Bulletin revised to rerelease the 2803821 update for Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2. Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 customers should install the rereleased update. See the Update FAQ for more information.

It will be interesting to see if the original problem is fixed --and that no new problems are introduced.  I personally always wait about a week before installing any updates. In this case it will probably be longer because I will be out of town for a week or more and unable to acess the PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to oldevhs

oldevhs

Thank you for the timely information. I am in the process of downloading and installing the Windows 7 64 bit Windows Updates that I have selected.

I will let you know how that turns out.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to oldevhs

Great news, and thank you for the update!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to oldevhs

oldevhs

Just installed all the selected Windows Updates including KB2803821 for my Windows 7 64 bit.

Imported a wmv video into Premiere Elements 11 on that computer. The video displayed in the monitor intact, no 1/2 wmv display.

Thanks again.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR

Good to hear that you were successful with the update installation and importing a .wmv video. 

But, heh heh (sic) I gotta tell you, after spending well over 30 years dealing with various software systems and software quality, the pessimist in me is pondering whether (or not) other types of video could now be affected.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 6:49 PM   in reply to oldevhs

oldevhs

Just to let you know that I have rechecked the display of my wmv files in Premiere Elements during the day and into the evening and so far they are still showing full view.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hunt & ATR & anyone else interested in the 'fix'

I just got a chance to check my e-mail today and found that MS has just re-issued (AGAIN --2nd re-issue) the update that was previously re-issued earlier this month to fix the problem created by the July updates.

I've been out of town for the past week (still not home yet) but received an e-mail notice from MS regarding the RE-release of the update (MS Security Bulletin MS13-057) that caused all of the grief last month.  The re-release can be found at:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-057

The revised MS update can be identified by scrolling to the bottom to the section named "REVISIONS".

The new version will be identified by the notation:

• V3.0 (August 27, 2013): Bulletin revised to rerelease security update 2803821 for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008; security update 2834902 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003; security update 2834903 for Windows XP; security update 2834904 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003; and security update 2834905 for Windows XP. Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 customers should install the rereleased updates. See the Update FAQ for more information.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 5:09 PM   in reply to oldevhs

oldevhs

Thanks for your follow up on the Windows Updates Premiere Elements related matters.

I am now trying to sort through them.

Am I correct in my first read that Windows 7 and 8 64 bit are not involved in this latest revision of the revision?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 8:42 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR

Yes, based on the description given I would agree that the current re-release does not apply to Win 7 or 8.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points