Skip navigation
PatJDooley
Currently Being Moderated

How can I import Sony RX100M2 raw files into Elements 11 using the Adobe Camera Raw plugin?

Jul 28, 2013 5:40 PM

I upgraded from 10 to 11 just so I could do this, but it seems I was mistaken.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to PatJDooley

Your camera is so new that Adobe software doesn't handle its raw files. Maybe in tblhe next release of ACR ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 6:01 PM   in reply to PatJDooley

Seeing as this camera was just announced a month ago, it seems unlikely that software that came out last fall and was last updated prior to the camera’s announcement, perhaps, would support it.

A new update for Lightroom, at least a release candidate, is due out later this week, and sometimes an ACR plug-in release candidate is also put out at the same time. 

Unfortunately, the ACR release candidates don’t update PSE, only Photoshop, so it may be a longer wait for the final release of the next version of ACR to come out.

Even more unfortunately, since PSE is normally updated around the September/October time-frame, and the next ACR plug-in is likely to come out Aug-Sept, I suspect Adobe MAY NOT UPDATE PSE11 with it, and you’d need to get PSE12 in a couple months or so.

The one bit of hope would be that if an ACR plug-in does come out in a week or a month, then the DNG Converter should also come out at the same time, and you could use the DNGC to convert your Sony raw files to DNGs which would open in PSE11 ACR plug-in, as you wait for PSE12 to come out.

An alternative would be to stop using PSE as your main organizer and start using Lightroom, which is supposed to come out within the week, at least a release candidate on Adobe Labs:  http://labs.adobe.com/ so keep your eye out for that and try using LR5.x RC with your raw files until it expires and/or you get PSE12 or an update for PSE11 that supports it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to PatJDooley

The “raw format” may not have changed, but Adobe needs to profile each camera’s raw file and include that in their raw converter. 

If there is nothing new about the camera then there’s no reason to release a new model.  Adobe needs to be sure so they profile every camera model and specifically support it or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 4:14 AM   in reply to PatJDooley

DNG converter will not work for this camera right now.

You have to wait for a future realease of DNG converter, or a future release of ACR; or as you said use the Sony converter

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points