Skip navigation
kerrie-rim
Currently Being Moderated

Live Composition Preview Window...Vector graphics are blurred

Jul 31, 2013 8:39 PM

Live Composition Preview Window...Vector graphics are blurred even though I have the 'Continuously Rasterize' button selected. I’m using the latest After Effects and Illustrator. Other compositions within the same ae project are all 100%, then when I started another new composition, the graphics are blurred, making it incredibly difficult to work out what I’m animating as I need to zoom in and it blurs a lot. It is not a RAM issue with the MAC. Can anyone help? I was going great creating motion graphics, then all of a sudden his happens and I’ve tried everything.  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2013 8:41 PM   in reply to kerrie-rim

Show screenshots of your Composition panel and Timeline panel, showing the affected layers.

When asking questions, please provide answers to the questions listed here:
    http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to kerrie-rim

You are viewing the comp window at 400% so what you are seeing is normal. Try setting the comp zoom value to 100%

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to kerrie-rim

kerrie-rim wrote:

The graphic is a vector illustration...surely no pixelation should occur regardless of how zoomed in I am?

No, that's not how AE works. AE is not a print program. Your comp window is going to show exact pixel information that you're outputting all the time.

If you have your comp window set to 100%, you can scale your vector graphic up as much as you want or push your AE camera as close to it as you want and it won't pixellate, but you can't blow up the comp view larger and see any more detail because the detail isn't there. You seem to imply that it worked before. Is that because you were working on the layer view and not the comp view?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to kerrie-rim

kerrie-rim wrote:

I just presumed that once the 'Continuously Rasterize' button was selected, this would omit any fuzziness regardles of zoom percentage. its a pity it does not in my opinion.

Again, you're misunderstanding what the comp window is doing. It is showing EXACT pixel representation of what is going to be output to the rendered video. Therefore it would be quite wrong of it to show anything at a higher resolution than the final output. As a video pro, I need to know what is going to be output. If I zoom in and it's showing a crisp vector graphic, that's not useful in the least.

If, for some reason, you need to work with something zoomed in, make a composition with a higher resolution and work in that. Then embed it in your final comp.

kerrie-rim wrote:

Maybe i'm going mad!!

Possibly

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to kerrie-rim

There is a huge difference between scaling vector art and zooming in on a view. The comp viewer is pixels. That's what AE makes. Zoom into 1600% and you're looking at 16 pixel blocks. Zoom in to 400% and you are seeing 4 pixel blocks. Scale a continuously rasterized vector layer to 10,000% and look at the edges at a pixel for a pixel and you will not see any blocks of pixels.

You are confusing zoom value with scaling a layer. In any application that is going to render pixels it is important to be able to look at the pixels individually by zooming the view. Photoshop or AE, or any other app.

In a vector drawing app like illustrator, if you check pixel preview and zoom in on the view you'll get the same thing you are seeing in AE. Screen Shot 2013-08-01 at 8.14.48 AM.png

The example is just a simple ellipse with a 1 point stroke viewed at 400% with pixel preview turned on.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points