Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CC Extensions Possible?

Jul 30, 2013 7:09 AM

Tags: #flash #extension #cc

I have a few existing Flash CS6 extensions that I need to get running under Flash CC.  I updated to Extension Builder 2.1 only to find that Flash CC is not listed as a Target application when you create a new project.  I tried launching the extension into Flash CC anyway, and got an alert "Unable to launch into Flash Pro CC.  Launching into Flash Pro CS6".  I then tried installing from a zxp via Extension Manager CC (by setting the extensions host version to [12.0,13.9]).  The extension installed successfully, but on launching Flash CC, Window->Extensions says "No extensions are installed".  I verified that the extension file was in the correct system folder.  Lastly, I followed the Adobe Exchange link from the welcome screen of Flash CC and tried installing a few random extensions from there, with no luck.  FYI - I tried all of this (and more) with the default Flash extension template by creating a new project to ensure my plugin wasn't to blame.

So, it looks like Flash CC is not compatible with extensions at the moment.  Can anyone verify that?  If so, is there an eta? 

I can keep using CS6, but these extensions are critical to my business.  When I need to bring on a new employee, I have no easy way to get a new copy of Flash CS6, which is a big problem.

Thanks for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to Blumdig

The Flash Pro enabled Extension Builder will be released this week.  You will find it on adobe lab then. One thing need to notice is that Flash Pro will start support HTML extension since version 13.1, early version will not be able to show html extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 11:23 PM   in reply to Blumdig

Sorry I misunderstood your meaning of "Flash extension". With EB3 you will be able to build HTML extension for Flash, yet for Flash extension for Flash, you have no way to get it run on Flash CC.

The reason is: Flash CC has dropped support for Flash extensions. So your choice will be either Flash extensions on CS6 or HTML extensions on CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 3:50 AM   in reply to xujieadobe

That's a little misleading.

swf based extensions are still supported by all CC apps. swf based extensions will be deprecated and at some point in the future. A LATER VERSION OF CC apps will not support swf extensions.

We still have some time until HTML extensions will be required. (Hopefully enough time for HTML extension support to catch up to the swf support...)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 3:57 AM   in reply to Harbs.

If I have understood correctly only html extensions will be supported by ALL CC apps in the future, is there any timeline for this change ?

Can someone provide more info about creating html extensions so that we can start as soon as possible the migration ?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 1:48 AM   in reply to Blumdig

Hi guys, has anyone be able to build an extension for Flash CS6 with EB2.1? I can't find much documentation online and I am doing as indicated in the few Adobe docs, but I still can't make anything to appear in the Window -> Extensions menu.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to nuthinking39

In case you are still interested…

For Flash CS6 with EB2.1, create a File>New>Other…  Adobe Extension Builder, Adobe Application Extension Project

Choose "Creative Suite 6" as your Creative Application version, then you can select Adobe Flash Pro.

Note that support for Flash based extensions was removed from Flash Pro CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to Harbs.

Correction, not quite all CC aps. Flash Pro CC did drop support for swf based extensions. Not even the Adobe extensions Kuler or Adobe Exchange work in Flash Pro CC.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points