Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I get Photoshop CS4 to work now that I have CS6 (which I dislike for many reasons), on the s

Jul 30, 2013 1:15 PM

Tags: #cs4 #photoshop #cs6

I have recently purchased CS6 Mac, and now that it's on my computer CS4 won't work.  Adobe told me to post the question on this forum because they refuse to provide any tech support for CS4 or earlier versions of PS now that 6 is out.

Also, they won't provide any help regarding the fact that all my images from CS4 open at 25% instead of 100% which they did in CS4.  They say I just have to highlight the 25 and type in 100.  Needless to say that is absurd and a big time waster.

Any help is appreciated.  OS mountain lion on a mac mini, also new.

Thanks,

bonnie

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,930 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 30, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to starbird parrot

What don't you like about CS6?  The Crop tool is quite different, but if you give it just a little bit of time, I suspect you'll love it.  Whatever is causing you difficulties about CS6, please tell us about it, and we'll do our best to help.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 30, 2013 1:41 PM   in reply to starbird parrot

Hi Bonnie,

1.  Installing Photoshop CS6 should not have affected your ability to run Photoshop CS4.  Assuming you didn't delete parts of it to make room on your disk, the two can peacefully coexist.  Perhaps it would be helpful if you'd describe in detail what goes wrong when you try to run Photoshop CS4.

2.  Photoshop CS6 strives to open your document so that it all fits in your work area.  However, on a Mac there's what's called an "Application Frame", which if you try to move it out of the way by resizing it, can cause images to open way too small.  The solution is not to try to resize it out of the way, but rather to disable it by unchecking it in the Window menu.

Can you please do a screen grab of your display showing how images open for you in Photoshop CS6?

I'm confident that with some guidance you'll be able to make Photoshop CS6 your new favorite version, which may eliminate your need to resurrect Photoshop CS4 - though we can certainly work on that as well.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 4:15 PM   in reply to starbird parrot

Cmd 1 is the keyboard shortcut for 100%  I do not know why CS6 would do that if you open a file.

CS6 has its' own Presets folder. You would copy your CS4 brushes to a USB memory stick and copy them into you Presets > Brushes folder on your new Mac.

I run CS6 on my mid 2009 Macbook OSX 10.8.4

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 5:06 PM   in reply to starbird parrot

I had to tend to something,but I'll answer the questions best I can.

I have never heard of Photoshop saving a file at a certain zoom percentage. When Photoshop opens a document, it selects a zoom percentage that will fit it to the work area. If the file has smaller pixel dimensions than the work area, it will select 100%. If the file is larger than the work area, it will select 67%,50%,25% to fit it in the work area.

If it is not doing so, close Photoshop CS6, Hold down Cmd-Shift-Alt and double click on the PS CS6 iicon to to start it up. A dialog will appear asking of you want to reset Preferences. Hopefully things will be back to normal.

As for Type, select the type layer you wish to edit.

Select the Type Tool

Then hightlight the type you wish to change by clicking and dragging over the Type.

Select your font size. When done select another tool.

As for docking your toolbar else where, drag to to the panel you want until you get a blue outline, then release it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to starbird parrot

You can go to Photoshop Preferences > Interface and set the UI Font size from small to large. Restart PS.

I've had Photoshop since 1998 and even when tech support was outsourced to some place in Oregon, I always felt it was basically asking someone with a ring binder who had little practical experience with the software field questions on the fly. I'm not sure if it is "greed." In the old mainframe days, IBM would gladly fly an army of techs in to service a multimillion dollar computer. With software and computers under $1000, I would think free tech support is a loss.

We (the forums) are basically users with that experience helping each other out. 

I've benefited a lot more here,when official tech support couldn't do anything.

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to starbird parrot

You'd be well advised to stick to one topic per thread.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 8:39 PM   in reply to starbird parrot

Download the the License Repair tool for the Mac from this link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing_download_eula.html

If you are using Lion or Mountain Lion, follow these instructions carefully:

Mac OS X 10.7

a. Double-click the LicenseRecovery111.dmg

Note: Leave this window open and proceed to the next step.

b. Double-click your Hard Drive.

c. Double-click Applications.

d. Double-click Utilities.

e. Double-click Terminal.

f. Type “sudo python “

Note: There is a space following “python”. Do not press Return.

g. Drag LicenseRecoveryLauncher.py from the LicenseRecovery111.dmg window onto the Terminal Window and press Return. Note: Make sure that the Terminal window has the command and the path to the APP file. For example: "sudo python /Volumes/LicenseRecovery\ 11.6.1/LicenseRecovery/LicenseRecover.py”

h. Enter your administrator user name and password when prompted and click OK.

i. Follow the onscreen instructions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 8:49 PM   in reply to station_two

Good point Station. I had totally forgotten.

Besides, why should I have all the fun?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 30, 2013 11:23 PM   in reply to starbird parrot

DId you try disabling the Application Frame via the Window menu?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 11:33 PM   in reply to starbird parrot

starbird parrot wrote:

I did not see anything that said application frame in the Window file.

Window menu.

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 11.28.57 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 30, 2013 11:34 PM   in reply to station_two

Thanks for catching my typo, Station_two.  I guess it's bed time.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 11:40 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Thanks for catching my typo, Station_two.  I guess it's bed time…

It wasn't a typo of yours at all, Noel.  It was the OP's.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points