Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I update ACR from 7.1 to 7.4 ?

Jul 30, 2013 7:00 PM

Hi

I updated PSE from version 9 to version 11 just to get ACR 7.4 for my Nikon D7100 camera

Installation went smoothly. But I discovered Adobe does not include the latest ACR version. SO I have ACR 7.1 installed. Well, it does not support the D7100

Went to Help menu. Updates option is not highlighted. ???? Cant use it!!!  Why ? My product is installed and registered ???

Anyway, I went to the ACR download page. No ACR 7.4 alone but ACR with DNG. What the hell I took the last one. Version 8.1

Downloaded DNG 8.1 and installed it. Fine.  Well, I can start DNG alone but no ACR visible. Back to PSE 11: It still only sees ACR 7.1

Have I downloaded ACR when I downloaded DNG ?

Should I download it separately ? Where from ?

If I did download it, how do I make PSE 11 recognize ACR 7.4 is available?

Extremely frustrating evening: I hesitated upgrading to PSE 11 for months because of this type of problems. When I finally take the jump, it hits me in the face.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 7:37 PM   in reply to PNacc

What operating system are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 9:11 PM   in reply to PNacc

Usually even if your firewall or something else is blocking the connection, Help>Updates should still be available, you'd just

get a message about the update server not available or a similar message.

If you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core

do you see the PDapp.exe?

If it's there does it work (double click on it with the internet active)?

Untitled-1.png

Anyway, camera raw can be updated in pse 11 to 8.1, but it's a manual install if you can't get the updater to work.

The updater would only update to version 7.4

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to PNacc

At this point i'm not quite sure why the updater is disabled, but it's not to hard to manually update camera raw.

We just need to know whether your using the 32 or 64 bit version of windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 7:28 PM   in reply to PNacc

Here are the steps to install camera raw 8.1 manually.

1. Download the 8.1 zip file

http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/win/PhotoshopCameraRaw7-7.0 /8.1.79/setup.zip

2. Extract the setup.zip by right clicking and choosing Extract All

camera-raw-8_1-update1.png

3. Double click on payloads then double click on AdobeCameraRaw7.0All-290513174249

camera-raw-8_1-update2.png

4. Extract the folder Assets1_1.zip

camera-raw-8_1-update3.png

5. in the folder Assets1_1 rename (right click) the 1003 to Camera Raw.8bi

camera-raw-8_1-update4.png

camera-raw-8_1-update5.png

6. right click on the Camera Raw.8bi and choose copy

7. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 11\File Formats and drag the old camera raw plugin to the trash, then

right click in the folder and choose paste

camera-raw-8_1-update6.png

With any luck next time you go to open your Nikon D7100 files in pse 11 you'll have camera raw 8.1

camera-raw-8_1-update7.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 11:24 PM   in reply to PNacc

On a note related to your updater not working, if you look in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\AAMUpdaterInventory\1.0

do you see a file called AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.DAT?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

R_Kelly

September 14, 2013 and I have just noticed your July 2013 "8.1" answer (labeled correct answer) which was posted for this Camera Raw 7.1 to 7.4 thread without using the program's Help Menu/Updates.

The thread title seems to have deviated to a how to for Camera Raw 8.1 and in that context I ask the following.

I have followed your post 9 details (details by details) for the stated goal there, that is, downloaded and installed Camera Raw 8.1 (from your stated source) into Photoshop Elements 11.

But here is where I come seeking your input. The best that I can do with your details is get Camera Raw 7.4 installed in Photoshop Elements 11 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit. I had that before I started this manual update to 8.1.

Could you suggest what I am overlooking in this.

You wrote:

On a note related to your updater not working, if you look in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\AAMUpdaterInventory\1.0

do you see a file called AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.DAT?

Is that supposed to impact the updater failure in some way? If so, could you elaborate on that point?
    Thank you.
    ATR 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 6:16 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

If you got the 7.4 camera raw plugin to install tru Help>Updates, then is really no need to manually install version 8.1 unless

you have a camera that is not suppoerted in camera raw 7.4.

Camera raw 7.4 is the latest version of camera raw that will show for the Help>Updates in photoshop elements 11, so 7.4 is considered up to date

as far as photoshop elements 11 is concerned.

The reason i gave directions for 8.1 is that PNacc's pse 11 updater didn't seem to be working and finding the manual

download for earlier than current versions of acr for the full version of photoshop can be difficult at times.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 6:46 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

R_Kelly

Since I posted (#14) today, two associates have pointed out the cause of the problem that I ran into following your Camera 8.1 installation instructions for Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit.

You wrote:

7. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 11\File Formats and drag the old camera raw plugin to the trash, then

right click in the folder and choose paste

In order for me to get Camera Raw 8.1 installed, instead of Camera Raw 7.4, it was necessary to modifiy the path that you gave for Camera Raw 8.1 installation. The key is not to use Program Files in the path given, but rather Program Files (x86).

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

R_Kelly,

Thanks for your follow up.

I was aware of all that you had written about these updates. But, since you had posted what you did, I wanted to see if it worked.

Since the release of Camera Raw 8.1, a popular question has been "Will Camera Raw 8.1 work in Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 11 or will we have to wait for the next version in order to use it?" These results seem to have given us some answers. I have not tested Camera Raw 8.1 in Premiere Elements 11 in Windows 7 64 bit completely, but as of now it installed with the adjust in your instructions and appears to be functioning well.

At this time, I have no way of knowing whether Camera Raw 8.1 will ever be available to Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 11 through the in program Help Menu/Updates route. Just trying to keep up with latest developments in this area when the questions come up.

I already have the DNG Converter 8.1 installed in my computer, and it is working fine as per its purpose and functions and instructions.

ATR

Add On...to include Photoshop Elements with Premiere Elements. Although Camera Raw will allow the Premiere Elements to import raw and dng images, one has to have Photoshop Elements to open the Camera Raw dialog for editing of raw images.

All comments posted by me related to my Photoshop Elements 11 and Camera Raw 8.1, not Premiere Elements 11.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 7:20 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 is a different program from Photoshop Elements 11.

The path for the camera raw plugin depends on whether your using a 32 or 64 bit windows system.

PNacc was using a 32 bit version of windows.

Your right though as on a 64 bit windows system, usually the path for the camera raw plugin for photoshop elements is in the

Program Files (x86), though Premiere elements 11 does come in a 64 bit version.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 7:54 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

R_Kelly

Sorry, my typing fingers have an auto set for Premiere Elements. Premiere Elements was never meant to be introduced in this conversion. Another aspect of what Camera Raw (any version) can do. I did not want to mask the real question by mentioning Premiere Elements in this context. I have placed an add on to my post to point out that.

All matters that I have introduced into this thread were pointed at the work that I did with Photoshop Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit to try to replicate your instructions for a Camera Raw 8.1 install in that setup.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points