Skip navigation
Paraty
Currently Being Moderated

How to paste custom graffiti words created with brush not a pen tool, onto a path?

Jul 30, 2013 8:22 PM

I think i created a custom font using a paintbrush or a pencil tool but not with a pen tool. How do i paste those letters onto a curved circular path like regular text?

I tried but they won't copy paste into a curved text path the way regular text does. .

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 9:18 PM   in reply to Paraty

Create the word with your custom artwork then convert the entire group into an art brush and assign the brush to your stroke.

I would suggest first saving the original artwork as a symbol, so it remains fully editable because converting it to an artbrush will change any brushes to simple paths.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to Paraty

Paraty,

You can use an Art brush as Ray suggests, or you can use the 1 step blend fake as described below, depending on how you want the shapes of the graffity parts: the former will distort the parts according to the path curvature, the latter will work in the same way as Path Type.

1 STEP BLEND FAKE:

1) Create the graffity as it would look on a straight line (like normal Type);

2) Object>Blend>Options>Specified steps, set the value to 1 and Align to Path;

3) Object>Blend>Make, create a copy just in case (now you have some strange inbetween shapes, but not for long);

4) Select the path  and Object>Path; Add Anchor Points enough times (you will see whether you have enough in 5) or 6));

5) Select 3) and 4) and Object>Blend>Replace Spine;

6) Object>Blend>Expand and Ungroup, and delete the inbetween shapes, if if the result has irregular distances Undo back to 4) and add more Anchor Points;

7) Enjoy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to Paraty

Paraty,

Have you selected all the parts of the graffity artwork before Object>Blend>Make?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

A creative solution, Jacob. Depending on the complexity of the artwork, I wonder if it would be easier to simply place and rotate symbol instances of the artwork? It all depends on the complexity.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to Paraty

Converting artwork to brushes can be problematic sometimes. Brushes do not accept gradients or clipping masks. Your artwork might have to simplified to work as an art brush. Another solution is to distort your artwork with a distortion mesh.

If you want to share a screen capture we might be able to offer more helpful suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to Paraty

Paraty,

Now that is strange. It should work, so it may be necessary to know/see what you have done in more detail, as Ray also asks for.

Obviously, (the part of) the path to have the artwork follow has to have the right length.

This also applies to the length of the path to be used for replacing the spine of the blend: it should be the same length as the blend, of course.

In addition, for curved paths with different lengths of the Handles (all non circular ones), to avoid varying distances between the blend objects, you may need to Object>Add Anchor Points a few times.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to rcraighead

Ray,

I believe it is worth it, for the accuracy. And I think it will normally be easier, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to Paraty

Mac or PC?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to Paraty

Paraty,

I began my logo in photoshop and then switched to illustrator so i can learn both.

Is it purely vector artwork, or (a mixture with) raster artwork?

If the latter, you will be in trouble with the best methods using Illy.

That would explain the greying out of Object>Blend>Make because you cannot make it.

Nor can you turn it into an Art Brush.

You can Effect>Warp>Arc or something similar, but the strengths of Illy really are within vector artwork.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to Paraty

In my opinion marking the help is not much help. If something is helpful mark it as such. It's not realistic for a new user to know if a given answer is "correct", especially when there are sometimes more than one "correct" answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to Paraty

As Ray said, there are normally multiple ways of doing things with the help of Illy.

Over the years we have had long threads with many different ways, such as the Circle Thread from 2004 (in the days of the fair forums).

http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/Archive/Chat/chat.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to Paraty

Paraty,

A screenshot with (some of) the artwork selected, preferably along with the corresponding (part of the) expanded layer in the layers palette so we can see the terms/names of the objects, would be helpful.

If what is shown in your post #16 is an Illy screenshot, it seems to be raster artwork.

It is about half an hour past midnight here, so very soon I shall have to attend to other duties, before the sun is up.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points