Skip navigation
codecreator10
Currently Being Moderated

Shape Builder tool

Jul 30, 2013 9:12 PM

Tags: #fill #shape_builder_tool #solid_shapes

Hey all!

I am working on a logo that has an anchor in it. I drew the anchor myself using the pen tool, straight line tool, and eliptical tool. It appears that everything is smoothly connected and I have rounded out the corners of my anchor, and also put a round cap on my adjoining lines.

I then highlighted the whole anchor and pressed cmd+J (I am working on a Mac) to join all the edges in an attempt to make the anchor one whole shape, which I intend to fill one solid color.

However, when I use the shape builder tool, Illustrator does not recognize my anchor as one solid shape. When you hover your mouse over a solid shape, the Shape Builder tool has a dotted pattern inside your shape. This is not happening in my anchor. I painstakingly went over each "joint" and made sure that they were connected, with no avail.

There has to be something I am missing here.. Anyone have any suggestions? They are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 9:21 PM   in reply to codecreator10

Have you viewed it in the Layers Panel? This is the easiest way to see how many paths really exist.

You could also convert the selection to a Live Paint object and then fill it with the Live Paint Bucket tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 1:33 AM   in reply to codecreator10

When you select the anchor and look into Layers panel, it should be listed as a single object. Also can you check if the object is not grouped or clipped etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to codecreator10

- Which version of Illustrator?

- Can you provide a sample .ai file?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status