Skip navigation
deckard2013
Currently Being Moderated

Export to pdf problem

Jul 31, 2013 12:36 AM

Have a document and something odd has just started to happen when its exported to interactive  pdf.

Some of the text has started to appear as if its bold.

I have checked everything I'm aware of, have used all the same styles etc, Indesign presentation preview everything appears ok,

In the graphic is a screen grab from some some dummy text I put in and then saved out to pdf as I usually do.

1 is the changed text, 2 is what I usually see and have always had

As you can see 1 appears blacker/bolder. Typeface used  in both is Calibri 10pt regular, same basic pargraph style etc

IDtext.jpg

would appreciate any help/ideas as I'm at a loss

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2013 12:54 AM   in reply to deckard2013

Hi,

So if you change a font or export to plain PDF - it is OK?

Jarek

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 1:12 AM   in reply to deckard2013

Is there any transparency on the pages? This could be text converted to outlines in flattening.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:06 AM   in reply to deckard2013

Drop Shadow is transparency effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:22 AM   in reply to deckard2013

is the master page apply to the page that text frame stay on in it?.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:39 AM   in reply to deckard2013

Is the text in the affected pages in layers above or below the items with the effect?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 2:50 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

deckard

I replicate you issue with two pages on indesign one with transparency and the other without.

on indesign pages you can see there is some different between the thickness of the text.

bold.jpg

But when export the pages to PDF (interactive) the text as the same

bold2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 9:46 PM   in reply to deckard2013

Did you use layers? You should.

Have you put the text and the drop shadow effect on the same layer? One on the master, the other on the Page?You should not, text should be on a layer above objects with drop shadow or similar effects.

Did you override objects from the master on the problem pages? When they are on the same layer it will cause problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 1:32 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

I have put the masterpage  on a seperate layer and text on its own layer. The master page layer is at the bottom

The master page has page numbers, one empty page size text box that has the small drop shadow on its right hand side.

Now this problem affects all pages  !

As to overrides I'm not sure what to click or where...do you mean in the objects style panel ?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to deckard2013

This is a well-known issue with text and transparency in ID. It's a screen artifact, and can show in the PDF as well and may show in print on desktop or other low-res printers, but genreally does not show in press output.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to deckard56

deckard56 schrieb:

I have put the masterpage  on a seperate layer and text on its own layer. The master page layer is at the bottom

The master page has page numbers, one empty page size text box that has the small drop shadow on its right hand side.

Now this problem affects all pages  !

As to overrides I'm not sure what to click or where...do you mean in the objects style panel ?

Thanks

You shall not put the masterpage on a seperat layer. (Layer are not page specific anyway, they affect the whole document!) You shall put the objects with transparency effects to the lowest layer and text above. But you did it the other way round and put the page number to the topmost layer.

The problem of you is the lack of understanding transparency. We can give you some recommendation but you should learn first what transparency is and how it effects other objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

That is exactly what is happening.

I have just been doing some print tests this afternoon and everything is printing perfectly, its only on screen and pdf.

Unfortunately this particular job is  required to be distributed in pdf.

So i guess i'm stuck with it unless Adobe decide to fix the problem, or I find a workaround (maybe a gradient fill as the drop shadow border.

At least I know for the future if i have to use drop shadow again

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to deckard56

That is an issue but not a problem. It becomes only a problem if transparency is not used properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

Willi

I understand what you are saying but it still doesnt seem to work as you say it should.

I have the layers with transparencey at the bottom and text layer at the top.

As you can see the master page has a box with a white fill that needs to cover the page for the drop shadow.

there is a layer in the middle that has a two small boxes with text and media buttons in them,these boxes  have a drop shadow, this layer has to be here otherwise the white box on the master page will cover them up.

And the top layer has all the text boxes.

here the drop shadow is off and everything would look fine on screen and pdf, but as soon as the drop shadow is put on that white box then the problem shows up.

If I am still doing something wrong here please could you explain what, because apart from Peters explanation I dont see what else i can do

thanks for your help.

ID.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to deckard56

@deckard56 – what exact version of InDesign do we talk here?
    And what version of OS?

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Laubender

Hi Uwe

PC - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 all updates to last week

ID CS6 v8.0 32bit

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to deckard56

The usual workaround for issues with transparency emboldening is to add transparency to every page so they all look the same for display on screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

The box with the drop shadow on the master page is on every page, but this problem isnt affecting all pages, theres a couple that seem to be immune.

i've looked at the pages but cant see any particular formatting or anything that might help or give me a clue.

The doc is actually pretty basic, I used to do it in MS Word without any problems but now have to use ID

Used to take me half the time in Word

Think I'll doing the drop shadow in Photoshop and put them in ID as a graphics, t be a lot easier, certainly a lot quicker

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to deckard56

I honestly don't know why the drop shadow would cause a problem on some pages, but not others, if the interaction between it and the text remains the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'm going to try it on another PC and see if it still happens, maybe its some strange conflict on my PC set up

Appreciate all the efforts to help

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to deckard56

Can you tell me, with which program you open the PDF? Acrobat? Reader? Something else?

And can you supply me the idml of the indd file? (I don't need any images linked or real text it can be placeholder, but I would like to see where the problem is.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 12:58 AM   in reply to deckard2013

I sent you Yesterday a message via Adobe's forum with my e-mail.

I will look into your file in the evening, now is morning 10:00 here in Munich.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points