Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

ProRes files (via FCP's Log & Transfer) vs. ProRes files (via Adobe Prelude) in Premiere Pro CC/CS6

Jul 31, 2013 3:13 AM

Tags: #issue #mac #bug #quality #freeze #prores #media_pending #fcp7 #final_cut_pro #prores_422 #adobe_premiere_cs6 #source_window #premiere_pro_cc #log_&_transfer #adobe_prelude #prores_proxy #prores_hq #yellow_warning

I noticed that the video clips that I transcoded to ProRes (HQ, 422, or Proxy) using FCP7's Log & Transfer would eventually start stalling and failing to load properly in the Source Window when you do the VERY REPEATABLE steps below (I've been able to successfully reproduce the issue below on two separate iMac computers (older 2007 iMac & a maxed out 2011 iMac) running 10.6.8 and 10.8.4 respectively using various scratch drives. I tested it on both Premiere Pro CC and CS6 using ProRes HQ, 422 or ProRes Proxy clips with the same results, every time).  HOWEVER, the same clips transcoded to the same ProRes format (HQ, 422, or Proxy) using Prelude do NOT have the issues below... which leads me to these three questions:

1) Why exactly do the ProRes files transcoded in FCP react differently (see how below) than the ones transcoded in Adobe Prelude, even though they are the same size, bitrate, etc.?

2) Why do the clips trancoded to ProRes using Log & Transfer in FCP generate Peak files when brought into Premiere, whereas Prelude's transcoded clips do not?

3) Why when I click on "properties" on a ProRes clip from Prelude it shows "Quality = Most (5.00)" but the ProRes clips from FCP's transcode show as "Quality = Normal (3.00)" ...the file sizes are the same, and the bitrate is basically the same and I can't see any real differences upon close examination...so what's the difference and why are Prelude's trancodes listed as a higher quality?

The issue with ProRes (HQ, 422, Proxy) files via FCP's Log & Tranfer:

I tested about 10 different projects (all containing 60+ ProRes HQ, 422 or Proxy video clips transcoded in FCP) and each had the same result which, after doing the steps below resulted in this "Media Pending" message:

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 4.57.55 PM.png

Here's the steps to reproduce this issue:

1) Start a project and bring in at least 60+ different ProRes (HQ, 422 or Proxy) video clips.

2) Double-Click on each different clip in the Program Window so it opens in the Source Window and COUNT as you go.

3) AFTER you've double-clicked and opened up at least 20 different clips in the source window, hit play on the next clip. Then, stop it.

4) Continue on and once you've reached a total of 52 clips, it will suddenly hang and show the yellow message above!

5) You can either wait out the message which can take up to 15 seconds, or you can immediately scrub through the clip manually. But it won't play if you hit play until that message goes away. Annoying!

****6) This will continue to plague several clips following that 52nd clip making working with ProRes422 footage frustrating and slow at times.****

This slows down the editing process considerably having to wait for the "Media Pending" message to go away. Or having to manually scrub through those clips that lock on "Media Pending" so the message goes away. This issue did not occur when I worked with other formats like native AVCHD (.mts) files or ProRes files transcoded in Prelude. Just the ones transcoded in FCP. See my 3 questions above...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2013 4:56 AM   in reply to DMH79

On completely unrelated topic: have you ever cleaned your Media Cache Database manually and where is it located?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 10:42 AM   in reply to DMH79

I ask because 'Media Pending' placeholder normally indicates the delay in communication with Media Cache Database. PrPro doesn't clean Media Cache Database entries and cache files when you finish your project and switch to another one, in the end it may bloat enormously, eating up your disk space and making difficulties for rapid access to cache files. Deleting all files manually from both Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders, which are hidden by default, and rebuilding Media Cache Database from scratch on PrPro restart may solve your issue with the delay.

It can't explain the difference between Quality flag values though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to DMH79
    My "Media Cache" folder had 44.4 MB of files (probably because they were always mostly saved next to the originals in my scratch drive)

Nope, because Media Cache folder contains small XML files, Media Cache Database entries. Moreover, you can't save those XML indexes next to original - this option exists for cache files only.

Sadly, the issue remains and so I'm back to my original 3 questions above in my first post in red...

Well, that's beyond my current expertise: I'm neither on CC/CS6 nor on a Mac.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points