Skip navigation
DiscountRyan
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else having trouble opening CMYK PDFs from Photoshop CC with JPEG 'high' compression?

Jul 31, 2013 11:24 AM

Tags: #photoshop #error #cmyk #save #acrobat #jpeg #pdf #windows #drawing #high #cs6 #compression #cc #acrobate_xi_pro

(Cross-post from the Photoshop forum, where I was asked to post in the Acrobat forum: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5553829 )

When I save a PDF file in Photoshop CC in CMYK color with JPEG compression (quality = high), it will save without any errors. However, when I open the file in Acrobat (11.0.3), I get an "Out of Memory" pop up error. I press Ok, and the document is just displayed as a blank white image.

acrobat-error-out-of-memory.png

I'm using Win7 64-bit, Photoshop CC 64-bit. Plenty of memory (24GB) and allocated RAM in preferences, and I've done some troubleshooting that leads me to believe the error is not due to system memory, but rather a specific bug in the software. I have Photoshop CS6 on the same machine, and if I open the PSD, save as PDF with the above settings, everything is fine when I open it using Acrobat. This seems to just be for Photoshop CC, not CS6.

Here is the troubleshooting I've done so far:

PDF format, RGB color, any other settings --> Acrobat can open the file.

PDF format, CMYK, no compression --> Acrobat can open the file.

PDF format, CMYK, JPEG compression [medium] --> Acrobat can open the file.

PDF format, CMYK, JPEG compression [high] --> Acrobat can NOT open the file because it encounters the "out of memory" error.

PDF format, CMYK, JPEG compression [maximum] --> Acrobat can open the file.

This is silly. I don't get it. Can anyone else confirm this problem for me?

Updated:

Like you said, there isn't enough information to rule out an issue with Photoshop CC, as the same action using Photoshop CS6 results in a usable file.

New information (while making files for uploading):

The error only occurs with CMYK files of larger dimensions. On a 500x500px image, Acrobat throws out "A drawing error has occured". a 2500x2500px image runs into the "Out of memory" error. In either case, Acrobat cannot successfully open the file generated by Photoshop CC, while it can if it was made using Photoshop CS6.

RGB PDF JPEG HIGH - PsCC - No Error.pdf

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=&confirm=no_antivirus&id=0B9lLW1Ml0 0iQc2ltUXhqVTRVaWs

CMYK PDF JPEG HIGH - 500x500px - PsCC - Acrobat drawing error.pdf

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=&confirm=no_antivirus&id=0B9lLW1Ml0 0iQZ3M2SS1PbEJuN0k

CMYK PDF JPEG HIGH - 2500x2500px - PsCC - Acrobat out of memory error.pdf

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=&confirm=no_antivirus&id=0B9lLW1Ml0 0iQd2dxWm9xWjk3bEE

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2013 9:48 PM   in reply to DiscountRyan

Hi there,

I too am experiencing the same issue. Didn't have the issue with CS5 at all so I feel it may be isolated to the CC Collection. Like you mentioned, every other compression format worked except for HIGH so from my thinking, it may have something to do with how photoshop compresses the HIGH setting that gives it an unreadable file. So I feel like it may be more than likely a fault with Photoshop. Hopefully someone can provide an answer as I would oftern use HIGH compression to save my PDF's

Jonathan

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 5:34 AM   in reply to DiscountRyan

Yep. Also having out of memory error on high quality setting saving pdfs from Photshop CC. Annoying as I was on deadline and couldn't find the issue. Luckily maximum and medium settings work ok.

Sul

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 6:39 AM   in reply to Sully Ottoman

I have a detailed analysis, not a solution, based on the 500 x 500 file posted above.

Adobe Acrobat X cannot read the file

Acrobat cannot decode the compressed data that makes up the image

Chrome can display the PDF

I extracted the JPEG data and tried to use it in a variety of ways

- Photoshop 7 failed (no useful message)

- Chrome worked

- Distiller gave the most interesting error: HuffTable exceeds 12 entry limit

A Hufftable is a normal part of a JPEG, and it is 16 entries in this file. Never mind what

it's for!

My guess: for best quality, Photoshop now uses a bigger "Hufftable", but nobody

in the Photoshop team thought to tell the rest of Adobe's developers that they

would need to change their code! Even if they did, there is no good reason to

be making PDFs unreadable with old versions of their sofware.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 7:46 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

Another observation for what it is worth (not a solution again). I was able to open all 3 PDFs in Irfanview as graphics. The properties of the image were

Clipboard01.jpg

The major changes for the others within the JPegs was the number of pixels (133X133) and the size (1.4inX1.4in). There is also a reduction in the number of colors.

Just for information, I opened the big JPeg in Acrobat (9.5.5) and it opened fine. However, it looks like the color space was changed as shown below:

Clipboard01.jpg

Even if I change the input to use CMYK and not RGB, it looks like it gets converted to RGB. I haven't spent time to figure out the preflight analysis properly, but at least this may give you some info back.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to DiscountRyan

Did you report the bug to Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jan 16, 2014 4:45 PM   in reply to DiscountRyan

For those of you on a project deadline I have a workaround.

In photoshop CC - flatten image, select all, copy

In Acrobat Pro CC - Create, PDF file from clipboard.

Adobe, I would appreciate it if you fix this bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 8:09 PM   in reply to RP-Jeremy-

Thanks for the work around!

This saved me from bashing my head against a wall!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points