Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Wanted: a simple technique for starting a Blu-ray on command

Jul 31, 2013 9:38 PM

I think I've got the hang of creating sequences in Premiere, importing them intto Encore, creating an ISO image, and then burning. I end up with chapters automatically inserted and it all works. Amazing really. The only problem is: the disk auto starts, so I need a button. I have purposely avoided learning about menus and so on, mainly because the 100 or so pages in the PDF scared me. I thought: "All this just to create menus?" And then when I did try to create a menu, all the relevant panels were empty. It seems I have to download 1.6 GB of stuff before I can do anything about menus. So I gave up.

At the moment, I put the disk in and away it goes. I have to rewind it and then press Pause, ready for when I want it to start. So…

QUES 1

Is there a simple way to create a Blu-ray disk that doesn't auto-play? I'd like a "Start" button. I'd like to put the disk in the player, which communicates with the projector, they sync to each other, and then when I press Play, or click the Start button the disk starts. Any style, colour, position, size of button is okay, but it has to be simple to obtain and simple to implement.

QUES 2

If a simple Start button is not possible, no button at all would be quite okay as long as when I press Play the disk starts. As part of setting up the Blu-ray, I selected a few options under First Play and Title Button, and others, not really knowing what I was doing, but it worked. Do any of those setup options allow me to tell the player not to play the disk when it is inserted?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions – but they have to be simple.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to Guy Burns

Guy Burns wrote:

I have purposely avoided learning about menus and so on, mainly because the 100 or so pages in the PDF scared me. I thought: "All this just to create menus?" And then when I did try to create a menu, all the relevant panels were empty...

And yet, menus are the answer to your question.

DVD and BD players are set up, by definition, to play the disc. You start the player with a disc in, it's going to play that disc. You start the player and then insert a disc, it's going to play that disc. It's what they do.

The way to control what happens is to make the first thing that is played on the disc a menu. On that menu, put a single "play" button that point to your source material. That's it. But you have to create a menu to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to cfg_2451

I like cfg's suggestion. The other way to approximate your goal is to set the first play to "stop." (Select the "disk" in the flowchart; use the first play setting in the properties.)

I suspect that not all players may do that correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 8:31 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

Is it possible to obtain just one menu item from somewhere so that I can load it into my system?

Just create a 1920x1080 document in photoshop (a .psd).

If you want a background image, add it here as part of the background.

Then import the .psd to Encore "as menu."

Drag your timeline to the menu; voila button. Change the text as you wish.

There is a chance this won't work without at least one button in the library; if not, Just type "PLAY" on the menu. Then (the text should already be selected) select Object -> Convert to Button.

1. In Encore, at the start of a disk I insert a still that says "Press play". It's sort of like a Desktop picture.
    2. The Blu-ray starts, the still comes up, but it stops on the still. Then I press Play.

Workaround

I have some other solutions, and to save me spending hours finding out they won't work, I'm hoping someone here can tell me if (2) might be a workable solution.

1. I could insert a timed-still in Premiere at the very start of a sequence. I might set it for 10 seconds. It might be black screen, it might be a pretty picture. Whatever it is, the ten seconds allows enough time for me to pause the Blu-ray. When it's time to go, I press Play or Pause.
    2. Based on the above, but better, would be to have the timed-still (or a video) as a separate element which I place at the start of my video. Then I tell Encore to continually replay it over and over until Play is pressed.

Is (2) possible without menus? If so, what words do I look for in the Encore PDF to learn how to implement it?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

>obtain just one menu item from somewhere

What is wrong with the menus that come with Encore?

The tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578 may help

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to Guy Burns

I dragged a timeline to it. A yellow box with a green outline and the word "text" appeared in the black area.

The "Convert to Button" step was only needed if your drag opration did not create a button. It DID create a button, so it can't be converted to a button. You were good to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to Guy Burns

>There'd be nothing wrong with the menus that came with Encore, but none came with mine

There are TWO links for missing Content... PPro & Encore basic and Encore extra

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/library-functional-content-mi ssing.html

Encore additional http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/using/download-library-content.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 12:13 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

The writers probably think everyone has the library, like all of us think we should (without such hassle).

I was also a little surprised at how simple it was.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points