Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Elements 4 crashes when I try to use menus

Jul 31, 2013 9:28 PM

Tags: #crash #menus #elements_4

I have been working with Elements 4 for several years without much problem. All of a sudden, if I try to add a menu to a completed video, the program crashes.  No error message, it just closes.  The only way to get it to restart is to re-boot the computer.

I tried to go back to a previously completed project that had menus and tried to open that, but Elements crashed before it even gets the project open.

I can import footage, edit, add titles, do just about everything, but if I try to add a menu, it crashes.

I tried running a software repair from my Premiere Elements disc, but that didn't help.  I also did the same with the menu templates, but that also was of no help. I have the most recent driver for my video card.  Any thoughts on why I suddenly can't add menus or open projects that have menus?

Here are the basics of my system:

HP Desktop Pavilion Elite m9650f

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2

CPU - Intel Core i7 920  @ 2.67GHz

RAM - 8.00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz

Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (XFX Pine Group)

Hard Drives -   733GB Seagate ST3750528AS (RAID)          

1954GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS723020BLE640 (SATA)

Optical Drives - HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH40L

Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2013 1:52 AM   in reply to LRN1301

When did you last run Disk Cleanup and the Defragmenter on your computer?

And don't forget to ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime as well as the latest graphics card drive from the ATI or nVidia web site.

There could also be interference from the RAID setup on your C drive. RAID is generally considered an obsolete way to set up a drive and it can cause problems with more intensive processes.

Also, you don't say what model of camcorder your video is coming from, but version 4 is nearly 8 years old and is very limited in its ability to work with video files. It can really only work well with video from a miniDV camcorder.

Version 11 is much more advanced and versatile. It works with virtually any kind of camcorder video, and it will be able to take advantage of your 64-bit operating system and large RAM load -- something version 4 can not do. It might well be worth an  update to at least version 10!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

Just a supplemental thought...by any chance, have you been customizing your own disc menus at the .psd level or adding new ones that you created in Photoshop CS or higher?

If you go the following path, do you find all the disc menu theme files in the default location?

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Premiere Elements 4.0

DVD Templates

and in the DVD Templates Folder are the category Folders which contain the Theme Folders.

I do not see where you will gain a resource advantage for your Premiere Elements going from version 4 to either 10 or 11. You now have Premiere Elements 4 as a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of your Windows Vista 64 bit system. Premiere Elements 10 or 11 will also be a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of your Windows Vista 64 bit system. In each case, with the resource limitations of 32 bit system. It is when Premiere Elements 10 or 11 is run on specially Windows 7 or 8 64 bit that it becomes a 64 bit application that can take advantage of the 64 bit resources. (In the case of Premiere Elements 11 Mac, that is a 64 bit application when on Mac 64 bit). I think that SG was thinking Windows 7 or 8 64 bit when he made his comments on this aspect of product selection in his previous post.

Looking forward to the answers to his questions first and then mine.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 11:12 AM   in reply to LRN1301

I think I mentioned that I did run a repair on the templates just to make sure that wasn't a problem.

Can you elaborate on the "repair," that you ran, please?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:35 PM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

You wrote

About a year ago, using a standard template, I changed the background image of the main page.

How did you do that and on what specific disc menu theme?

Did you do this changed background in the Disc Menus section of the opened project or did you go into the .psd files in the program files?

Hunt asked about the "repair" that you referred to. Was this done before or after the problem that you present, that is, the crash when you hit the Disc Menus header.

Just to be safe, please confirm that it is the Disc Menus header that you hit to trigger the crash.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

Thanks for the follow up information.

Let us try following two things.

Deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs File. I do not have Windows Vista 64 bit, like you, but I am hoping that my Windows 7 and 8 64 bit paths will be the same for you.

Local Disc C

Users

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 4.0 Folder should be the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not do the job, the delete the whole 4.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Be sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

If neither of them work, then it is time for the uninstall/reinstall. Do not bother with Repair.

Use the Control Panel route to uninstall Premiere Elements 4.0. Make sure that all the Content goes along with it. Then reinstall Premiere Elements 4 from your installation disc.

There is one other train of thought. Not sure if it is going to be productive, but....how many Premiere Elements 4 projects do you currently have saved to your hard drive (internal or external).Ones with menus included in them? I am thinking to change the name(s) of these project.prels on your hard drive, try to re-open them, and see the outcome with regard to your issue.

Still thinking about the latter.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 7:17 PM   in reply to LRN1301

OK, a Repair Install of PrE. Now I understand, and the Repair Install can correct many issues, though I am not sure if it would affect anything in the Menus, other than perhaps replacing a Menu Set Template, if you had edited those in Ps, or PsE.

Thank you for the info.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 10:26 PM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

Sorry I could not get back to your sooner. I got involved in a computer disaster that I am still working on.

When I wrote Content, that was Content as in Disc Menus, Movie Themes, Title Templates that are on the Content disc that came with the rest of the installation discs.

I just want you start start with the program that has been uninstall reinstall and whose Content (Disc Menus) are "refreshed" by an uninstall reinstall.

Please let me know if you understand my suggestion and are OK with it.

Thanks.

It is very late where I am so I will be signing off until the light of day.

ATR

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 7:42 AM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

Sorry the news was not better. But, onward.

Have we been down the route of video card driver update? Have you gone to the ADM web site to assure that your ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (XFX Pine Group) driver is up to date by its latest posting?

I will think about this some more.

To be continued.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

Still thinking for more ideas on this one.

Just a question. When did you change from SP1 to SP2 for your Windows Vista 64 bit?

I noticed that SP2 comes in a 32 and 64 bit version. Any wild, wild chance that you installed the 32 bit SP2 for your Windows Vista 64 bit?

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 8:31 PM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

Here is my grand plan or major dud for advancing on this crash when you try to use Premiere Elements 4 Disc Menus. Drastic measure for the time.

Take your Premiere Elements 4 installation disc and insert it in the burner tray. Then go to Computer and that drive, right click the drive and select Open. Then select Premiere Elements Folder/Templates/DVD Templates.zip. Copy the DVD Templates.zip Folder to the computer desktop and unzip it. That unzipped folder should have all the category folders, Entertainment, General, etc.

Then go to Local Disk C\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Premiere Elements 4.0\DVD Templates. In the DVD Templates Folder, you should find the existing category folders, General, Entertainment, etc. Here I am not sure how I want to proceed but whichever way, get all those category folders gone from there. Not sure if best to create a folder, put them all in the folder, and put them on the desktop or just delete them all. Right now I am in favor of deleting them all.

Then one at a time add back category folders to the DVD Templates Folder, and, after each addition, determine if you can open Disc Menus in a new project without crashing the program. Keep going until you are stopped by a crash after the addition of a particular category folder. In this way determine which category folder(s) is are associated with the crash.

Hopefully this grand plan will not come to a crashing conclusion after we add back the first category folder named Entertainment. My theory is that there is an offending theme disc menu in there somewhere that it triggering in-project Disc Menus crashes.

If any questions, please tell me before you start the task. As the old TV program asked "Do you wish to accept this mission?", hopefully not Mission Impossible.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

What was the generic template that you found in the program after you deleted the Content via Control Panel? Was it in the Slideshows category and the Pan and Zoom theme? If so, let us first look at the following, but do not delete the Content via Control Panel route as part of this plan:

Delete only the Slideshows Category Folder in the path

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Premiere Elements 4.0

DVD Templates

Slideshows Folder

We will look forward to the results so that we can decide on what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2013 8:52 PM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

I just uninstalled all my Premiere Elements 4 Windows Content. You are correct. The one remaining, not part of the Content on the installation disc, is that disc menu Comicbook in the General Folder. The path to it would be:

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Premiere Elements 4.0

DVD Templates

General Folder

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

Sorry the news was not better.

Based on your prior test of all Content (disc menu templates) deleted and just Comicbook remaining and crash, I thought that we did not have to go through deleting all and starting the add back to find a possible offending disc menu or disc menus. Just to dot the i's and cross the t's, perhaps continue the process of deleting one by one those category folders to see if you ever get to the point where the program does not crash when you select a disc menu in the program.

If that approach does not lead to resolving this situation, how about this for troubleshooting purposes only? Download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 11 and determine if you can gain access the Movie Menus section with Tools Menu/Movie Menu selection.

(Do not uninstall your Premiere Elements 4. Have it installed with all its menus and closed.) The goals here are:

a. See if you can get Premiere Elements 11 Windows Movie Menus to work for you.

b. With Premiere Elements 11 Windows closed, but still on your computer with Premiere Elements 4, open Premiere Elements 4 and see if the your Create Menus/ is now working or crashing as usual.

Thinking ahead, just in case, how many Premiere Elements 4 projects do you now have saved to your computer (either Local Disk C or internal or external hard drive)? How many of them have menus already in the project.prel file?

Looking forward to further developments

ATR

Add On...be prepared for major interface change going from Premiere Elements 4 to 11. But we can overcome that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2013 8:19 PM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

This should be the link that you need for the Premiere Elements 11 Tryout from Adobe

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements& loc=us

Let go for the Premiere Elements 11 tryout. And, put previous thoughts on hold.

Remember, if you have thoughts of purchase of the product, keep in mind that a new version is due soon. Only Adobe knows when. So, plan purchasing strategy if that is the way you decide to proceed.

Looking forward to your results.

I caution you ahead of time, all Content is downloaded from within the program. It can be very time consuming, depending on Internet speed and Adobe Server status. So, remember to try one menu download first to get an idea of the merits of all this.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

I think that you have misinterpreted what is written on that Premiere Elements 11 tryout download page.

I believe it is just stating that Premiere Elements 11 64 bit will be Premiere Elements 11 64 bit when it is installed on a Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer operating system.

You should be able to install the Premiere 11 tryout on your Windows Vista 64 bit computer, but it, like the purchased version, will be a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the Windows Vista 64 bit system and as such will have all the limitations of 64 bit.

Your Premiere Elements 4 has been running under the same circumstances on this Windows Vista 64 bit computer.

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

OVERJOYED with the great news - no program crashes with versions 11 Movie Menu and version 4 now triggered to not crash at Create Menus.

With regard to...

First, out of curiosity, what would installing version 11 have done that would have corrected a menu problem with version 4?  Since earlier I had completely uninstalled 4 and then reinstalled it, I would think that should have fixed any problems. Could installing 11 have changed some setting within my system that made the menus work, where as installing 4 didn't change those settings?  Or do you think it may have been something else?

This has happened in several instances, that is, installing the later version triggering the earlier one and suddently having the earlier one to start working. This type of situation has applied to features other than disc menus. So, I do not believe it to be a strictly disc menu issue. All speculation. Could be a missing .dll or other program file that intergrates functions. I often edit (or try to edit) the .psd from disc menus using Photoshop Elements. To do that Photoshop Elements must open the Layer Sets (Photoshop features) in it. Always does it on Windows XP, but on other operating systems, sometimes yes and sometimes no. I do not have firm proof, but the trend seems to correlation with other programs activated and new program installs.

Now whether or not your Premiere Elements 4 bonus will hold up is another question, and whether it will remain after purchase of 11 or 12 is questionable. I am hoping that you will get the chance to see if Premiere Elements 4 menu problem is gone after the uninstall of Premiere Elements 11.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

Thanks for the update.

How much time do you have left on the Premiere Elements 11 tryout from Adobe?

Version 11 gives you start up disc menu as you found out. It has all the miscellaneous files for each of the other disc menus installed, but lacks the critical .psd and other files necessary to make the disc menu work. That is when the online download enters the picture. That process completes these incomplete program files, automatically placing these critical files in the right place for you.

I am not sure if I gave you the following reference, but I will post it nonetheless. It is a link to my blog post on Premiere Elements 11 Content. It should explain the situation and tell you where everything is.

Looking forward to further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

Since you have been away for a few days, see if you can figure out what happened between the stable version 4 that you left and the unstable 4 that you found today. A just in case question...if you close the unstable 4 and open 11, is version 11 still stable in that same time frame?

I just do not want you stuck with two unstable programs. Can you still use Tools/Movie Menu in Premiere Elements 11 without crashes?

Please go back and make sure that new program and/or computer maintenance needs have not set in.

If you are in a time crunch for project, then an immediate decision needs to be made based on what is working for you. Even if you buy Premiere Elements 11 now and it becomes unstable like 4, make sure that you can get your money back for the purchased version 11.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 1:20 PM   in reply to LRN1301

LRN1301

Thanks for the update.

Please excuse the following Premiere Elements 11 questions but I do not want to take anything for granted.

1. When you take your Premiere Elements 11 Timeline to

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

are you actually doing that? Is there any chance that the AVCHD panel is selected instead of DVD?

2. Given that you have gone

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

and used the preset for NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD or PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

and have produced this DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc.

a. What brand/type DVD disc did you use before and now?

b. If you explore the disc contents of the disc in the burner tray, do you see an OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder? If so, can you play back the VTS_01_1.VOB file in a computer player?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers